Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Neon not loading on macOS Sierra after a clean install
Eclipse Neon not loading on macOS Sierra after a clean install [message #1744656] Thu, 29 September 2016 10:31 Go to next message
Josh Pullin is currently offline Josh PullinFriend
I have performed a clean install of macOS Sierra, with the latest version of Java JDK 8 (v 102). I have downloaded and installed Eclipse Neon multiple times to try and get it working.

Every time I start Eclipse I get the splash screen and then the "error occurred, please see log file" dialog.
I have tried loading with the "-clean" parameter and still get the same issue.
I have also specified my JDK version in the eclipse.ini file to see if that would fix anything (even though I only have the one version of JDK installed).

I have attached my log file to see if anyone can identify the issue. I did search the error:
Unable to acquire the state change lock for the module: osgi.identity

and it said to delete the table lock files in the org.eclipse.osgi directory. I have done this on every install when it has failed and it still does not load.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue or point me in the direction to get Eclipse working?
Re: Eclipse Neon not loading on macOS Sierra after a clean install [message #1744758 is a reply to message #1744656] Fri, 30 September 2016 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you get a log with Java stack traces, it's definitely found a version of Java that's usable. But I've never seen an exception like this before. This isn't the installer failing but rather the installation that it's produced failing to run, correct? Where did you locate the installation? Are there issues with access rights or write permission at that location? Might the disk be full?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Neon not loading on macOS Sierra after a clean install [message #1744885 is a reply to message #1744758] Sat, 01 October 2016 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Pullin is currently offline Josh PullinFriend
Thanks for your reply. You are correct this isn't the installer. This is when I select the Eclipse icon to load. I have got Eclipse installation from this site, and switching to a different mirror to see if that did anything. Current installation was done via home brew which downloaded from this site too.
I have read/write permissions where this located and I have over 200GB free on my drive.
Re: Eclipse Neon not loading on macOS Sierra after a clean install [message #1744905 is a reply to message #1744885] Sun, 02 October 2016 07:26 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm a little concerned because I've updated my target platform to Neon.1 for development, and have included Market Place Client in the target platform, and since then, I see stack traces when launching a self-hosted IDE that look just like these. Although the IDE still launches okay. But then I set breakpoints for and the problem went away, plus it's no longer reproducible...

Maybe these will help:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/823236/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28623792/unable-to-acquire-the-state-change-lock

Please report back.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse Opening Error
Next Topic:Eclipse doesnt report errors automatically in RSE.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:32:34 GMT 2024