Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtend memory and speed issue
Xtend memory and speed issue [message #1742574] Mon, 05 September 2016 11:05 Go to next message
Olaf Donk is currently offline Olaf DonkFriend
Hi All,

Since two days my eclipse instance has become slower and slower when using Xtend (I'm implementing the generator in an Xtext project) up to a point where it is unusable.

For example, if I select some text in an Xtend editor, Eclipse freezes for a couple of minutes...

I've tried raising the memory allocation for Eclipse to 4Gb and that seemed to help a bit initially but quite quickly Eclipse is using the 4Gb to the max. I assume this is the cause for the slowness, but I have no idea why it's using so much memory. (I've checked the memory usage in the graph from the jvisualvm tool.)

Does anyone have an idea what could be the issue and/or how I can troubleshoot this?

BTW the .log does show any issues.

Thanks a lot, Olaf

PS I'm not sure I'm posting in the right group, if not, apologies, and a pointer to the right spot is greatly appreciated.
Re: Xtend memory and speed issue [message #1742697 is a reply to message #1742574] Tue, 06 September 2016 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Xtend has some memory leaks but they should not get problematic after a few edits.
It would be helpful to have a reproducing sample project so that we can have a look into the memory

Need professional support for Xtext, Xpand, EMF?
Go to: https://www.itemis.com/en/it-services/methods-and-tools/xtext
Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Xtend memory and speed issue [message #1742743 is a reply to message #1742574] Wed, 07 September 2016 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

I am quite heavily using Xtend for code generators and do not have any issues. My Eclipse is usually satisfied with 2GB. So it is really hard to tell without analyzing CPU and memory profiles what is slowing it down in your particular case. Usually bottle necks are at a place which you do not expect.

We can only tell that we are always having an eye on potential leaks and bottlenecks and improve Xtext and Xtend continuously in that regard.

With jvisualvm you can get some idea what might go wrong, but we have much better experience with profilers like YourKit. You might want to have a deeper look with that. It is free for a demo, but it is really worth its money when you might want to tackle performance issues more often.
Re: Xtend memory and speed issue [message #1743005 is a reply to message #1742743] Fri, 09 September 2016 10:47 Go to previous message
Olaf Donk is currently offline Olaf DonkFriend
Ok, I've stripped the project into a sample size to reproduce the issue as you suggested. But strangely I cannot repro this anymore :-/ Strangely because there's not much difference between the original and the sample project. It's smaller of course, but not by much and my assumption that this has to do with project size doesn't hold: The original project was already quite small as I'm working on sample project to demonstrate EMF related topics, so it's not that I reduced a huge project into a small one, more a small project into a tiny one. And, besides, I can't repro the issue in the original project either.

So it's no longer a blocking issue, however code completion still takes a couple of seconds, and it also triggers an increase in heap size of about 500Mb -maybe the last part is normal behavior?- so I still have the impression something weird is going on, but it's a bit hard to confirm at this point.

For now I'll leave this as is, if the issue reappears I'll try to make this repro sample project and let you know. So far thanks for your help!

Previous Topic:Customizations required to make indent-based syntax work
Next Topic:Hiding Toggle Mark Occurrences icon in the coolbar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 15 05:49:49 GMT 2021