Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » "Launch Failed. Binary Not Found"(Need Assistance!)
"Launch Failed. Binary Not Found" [message #1741927] Tue, 30 August 2016 15:41 Go to next message
Jarod Stagner is currently offline Jarod StagnerFriend
10:29:44 **** Rebuild of configuration Debug for project MMM ****
Info: Internal Builder is used for build
g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -o "src\\MMM.o" "..\\src\\MMM.cpp"
g++ -o MMM.exe "src\\MMM.o"
c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/5.3.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpthread
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

10:29:45 Build Finished (took 302ms)

That is the error I receive; I am just starting to learn C++ in an online course but I can't even get the "Hello World" project running. So please keep in mind that I know very little when you try to explain how to fix this. I am using Eclipse Neon. Thank you!

I am using the MinGW C++ Compiler and yes I have it selected in the toolchain when I made the project.

I also have Windows 10
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 39.41KB, Downloaded 343 times)
Re: "Launch Failed. Binary Not Found" [message #1742096 is a reply to message #1741927] Wed, 31 August 2016 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
The error is "cannot find -lpthread". That would be he pthread (POSIX thread) library.
Do you have it installed? Do you really need it?

Using pthreads is not the default. How did it get set?

If not installed and you need it (although I doubt that for "Hello Word"), see this:
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/pthreads_library

if it is installed, did you tell gcc the path to the library by using the linker library settings?

Additional -- maybe helpful -- info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21684536/how-to-add-the-pthread-option-to-g-via-eclipse
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2127797/gcc-significance-of-pthread-flag-when-compiling
Re: "Launch Failed. Binary Not Found" [message #1742249 is a reply to message #1741927] Thu, 01 September 2016 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petru Virlan is currently offline Petru VirlanFriend
well what i do that seems to always work is:
1. create hello world project;
2. select both the folder in project explorer and the file at the top with left click ( it should make them a different shade of grey)
3. build with the hammer on toolbar
4. run it

i guess you could also save it before you run it if you want but its gonna ask you anyway
Re: "Launch Failed. Binary Not Found" [message #1742280 is a reply to message #1742096] Thu, 01 September 2016 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Franziska Schneider is currently offline Franziska SchneiderFriend
I have the same probleme - buildung the project is okay, but if I try to run it, it tells me there are no binaries found. What can I do now? :/ There are sooo many posts on this topic, but I already tried and tried and now I'm even more confused than before. Please note that I can't share the project with you because I do not own the rights!
I did the following stepts: I'm working with Eclipse Mars 4.5, Windows 7, MinGW Compiler. I opened the eclipse.exe and did File -> Import -> Existing Code As Makefile Project (is this already my error? are Makefiles not able to be run? o.O) then I selected my toolchain (MingGW) and for the Properties, I changed the build commands for Release, Debug and Single File so that they can connect to the Build Toolkit that was given to me. Anybody some proposals?

Thanks a lot!

Re: "Launch Failed. Binary Not Found" [message #1742925 is a reply to message #1742280] Thu, 08 September 2016 15:28 Go to previous message
Jarod Stagner is currently offline Jarod StagnerFriend
I figured out how to fix the problem. Go into MinGW and install everything that says Ipthread or pthread. After doing so my Hello World ran perfectly. Thanks for the assistant boys.
Previous Topic:build beserk
Next Topic:Linking library files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:42:32 GMT 2024