Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Fails to clear console before build(Appears to be a bug)
Fails to clear console before build [message #1740493] Mon, 15 August 2016 04:30 Go to next message
James Hirschorn is currently offline James HirschornFriend
I have the settings right:

Window -> Preferences -> C/C++ -> Build -> Console -> Always clear console before building

is checked. But the console does not clear when I build my project.

I've seen this before, and the fix was to create a fresh workspace. But I don't want to lose all my settings.

Should I file a bug report?
Re: Fails to clear console before build [message #1740544 is a reply to message #1740493] Mon, 15 August 2016 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
A bug report would be great if you can replicate the problem: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT

In the meantime perhaps a workaround would be useful? Even if you can't replicate perhaps we can resolve it anyway.

If yes, here are somethings for me to understand:

1) Is it both the per project and global build console that is failing to clear?
2) Does the problem persist after restarting Eclipse?
3) Does the problem persist if you do a build with the setting clear, then recheck the setting and do further builds?
4) Does workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.cdt.ui.prefs exist?
5) And if so, does it have a line that starts clearConsole=
6) And if so, is it true/false or something else?
7) Which version of Eclipse CDT are you using?

Sorry for so many questions, but hopefully they will be easy to answer and may indicate the problem.

Thanks!
Jonah
Re: Fails to clear console before build [message #1740667 is a reply to message #1740544] Wed, 17 August 2016 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Hirschorn is currently offline James HirschornFriend
Hi Jonah,

Unfortunately, I do not know how to replicate the problem. If it happens again, I will be able to answer your questions.

This time I found a much simpler workaround (before I saw your reply): Just close the Console, and let a new Console be created on the next build Project. Everything was back to normal in the new Console.

I am using the lastest Eclipse: Neon. Unfortunately, I am having other serious usability issues which I will mention in a new thread when I have a chance. So I may try an older version...

Thanks,
James

Jonah Graham wrote on Mon, 15 August 2016 15:06
A bug report would be great if you can replicate the problem: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT

In the meantime perhaps a workaround would be useful? Even if you can't replicate perhaps we can resolve it anyway.

If yes, here are somethings for me to understand:

1) Is it both the per project and global build console that is failing to clear?
2) Does the problem persist after restarting Eclipse?
3) Does the problem persist if you do a build with the setting clear, then recheck the setting and do further builds?
4) Does workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.cdt.ui.prefs exist?
5) And if so, does it have a line that starts clearConsole=
6) And if so, is it true/false or something else?
7) Which version of Eclipse CDT are you using?

Sorry for so many questions, but hopefully they will be easy to answer and may indicate the problem.

Thanks!
Jonah

Re: Fails to clear console before build [message #1740789 is a reply to message #1740667] Thu, 18 August 2016 14:36 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
BTW If you are on Linux your issues may be GTK 2 vs GTK 3. to try GTK2 start Eclipse with --launcher.GTK_version 2 command line.
Previous Topic:A beginner question
Next Topic:using eclipse/git with an existing code base
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:39:45 GMT 2024