Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Neon-JDT Index poor performance(Neon Indexing performance is poorer than the previous release (Mars))
Neon-JDT Index poor performance [message #1739838] Thu, 04 August 2016 21:45 Go to next message
Johnny Kang is currently offline Johnny KangFriend
i notice the index performance with Neon release is a lot poorer than the Mars.

The size of the index is taking at least 3-4 times size bigger than Mars. (by comparing the same projects and jars structure and compare the end result on the both release).

And Index speed in Neon takes a least 3-4 times longer too to complete the process.

Is this a known issue? is there anything I can help to improve it? Eclipse is used to deal with many big size jars in our company due to the NACA (cobol -to java compilation) usage. And the performance in NEON is totally killing it from using Neon. It just takes too long to do the indexing (comparing to previous release).
Re: Neon-JDT Index poor performance [message #1740306 is a reply to message #1739838] Thu, 11 August 2016 12:05 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I'm not aware of any changes in Neon that could produce the degradation of indexing you describe.

From here I see two possible paths moving forward:

(1) You could file a bug against JDT/Core and provide data from a profiler that show which methods are consuming more time in Neon than they did in Mars. This path probably isn't easy: without access to a workspace that exhibits the problem we may need quite some quenstion&answer ping pong until we pinpoint the problem.

(2) The indexer is being rewritten for better performance as we speak [1]. The new implementation is scheduled to be shipped with Oxygen. That's a long wait, but you could soon start testing our integration builds (the new impl. is not yet in, but we're close), and provide valuable feedback before the release.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=481796
Previous Topic:maven dependency for jdt.core coming with 4.6
Next Topic:Eclipse problem with JavaFX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:28:18 GMT 2024