Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » C++ debugging can't set breakpoints using GUI
C++ debugging can't set breakpoints using GUI [message #1737765] Tue, 12 July 2016 15:53 Go to next message
Nathaniel Mercure is currently offline Nathaniel MercureFriend
I'm trying to debug a remote application using GDB (DSF) Attach to Process Launcher and it partially works but Eclipse does not load the executable file and I can't set breakpoints through the interface.

The connection to the remote gdbserver works fine.
I can force the load of symbols by using the file command directly in the gdb console (or in .gbdinit) and i get a nice stack when I play / pause the remote executable.
I can set breakpoints through the console using the break command, they will show in the GUI and when triggered the right source is loaded, I can inspect variables and step the code...

I can't figure out why the debug configuration won't load the Specified C++ Application and why breakpoints set by the GUI won't trigger?

I got this error on eclipse Mars and now I'm on Neon and I have the same issue.
Any help Plz
icon6.gif  Re: C++ debugging can't set breakpoints using GUI [message #1737789 is a reply to message #1737765] Wed, 13 July 2016 01:36 Go to previous message
Nathaniel Mercure is currently offline Nathaniel MercureFriend
Ok I found a fix.

I was using a debug configuration under "C/C++ Attach to Application" and then selecting gdbserver. But this only partially worked with the symbol not loaded and breakpoint issues.

To fix the issue I created a Debug configuration under "C/C++ Remote Application" instead of "Attach to Application", changed to Preferred launcher to "GDB (DSF) Manual Remote Debugging". This gave me the exact same UI as with "Attach to Application" but in this case the symbols are loaded correctly and breakpoints works.

This feels like a bug we should not be able to switch to gdbserver in a "Attach to application configuration" if it does not work properly. Although it might work fine with other setups?!

Regards
Nathaniel
Previous Topic:Error: Permission denied
Next Topic:How to find filename and namespace in cdt ast node basespecifier (c++ inheritance)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:25:21 GMT 2024