Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Find reason for STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND on Windows(Question)
Find reason for STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND on Windows [message #1737207] Wed, 06 July 2016 12:35 Go to next message
Benjamin Bihler is currently offline Benjamin BihlerFriend
I have a serious problem finding the reason why a C++ application won't run from an eclipse Neon launch configuration.

I get "<terminated> (exit value: -1.073.741.515)" which means STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND. So there is a problem with the DLLs.

To find the exact reason, I have created an external tools configuration "Environment Displayer" wich runs cmd.exe with the arguments "/c echo %path%". In the "Environment" tab of this external tools configuration I have set the same environment variables as in the launch configuration that gives the STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND error. So if I run EnvironmentDisplayer, I have the used path string in the eclipse console and if I run cmd.exe, set the path to that path string and run the application from the original launch configuration, an error dialog appears telling me the reason for the STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND error.

This is inefficient, but it works most of the time. Rarely I have the case that an application runs well from the console, but it refuses to run from the eclipse launch configuration, even though the paths are identical. In this case I have no idea how to find out the reason! Sad

Is there any eclipse professional who could help me in this case? Thank you!!!
Re: Find reason for STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND on Windows [message #1737303 is a reply to message #1737207] Thu, 07 July 2016 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Is this cygwin, msys2, mingw, etc? If it is cygwin or msys2, as an experiment can you copy the corresponding dlls into the executable directory?
Have you tried to launch your application using the external tools configuration? That will track down if the problem is with Eclipse launching it at all, or if the problem is actually with the CDT launch configuration.

I am not sure I have an answer, but working together perhaps we can resolve it?
Re: Find reason for STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND on Windows [message #1737760 is a reply to message #1737303] Tue, 12 July 2016 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The compiler is MinGW. I know that the executable needs an extra DLL for that reason, so I have added the MinGW binary directory to the path (I set the PATH variable in the run/external tool configuration environment tab), so this should not cause any problems.

Your hint to try launching the application using the external tools configuration was exciting. Indeed I can launch it as an external tool configuration, but I get the exit value STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND if I launch it as a run configuration. The environment settings are exactly the same. Isn't that strange?

Another hint: the problem appears only with Neon (4.6.0). If I switch back to Mars.2 (4.5.2), everything works as expected (I can launch the application both as external tool configuration and as run configuration).
Re: Find reason for STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND on Windows [message #1738232 is a reply to message #1737760] Mon, 18 July 2016 09:49 Go to previous message
Has anyone ever found a case where starting an application behaves different depending on whether it has been started by a launch or external tool configuration? Is this a bug? Can anybody help me?

Thank you!!!
Previous Topic:Automated feedback option
Next Topic:CDT 9.0 Debugger problems with STL pointers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:16:42 GMT 2024