Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Linkercall fails because of Windowslimit
icon8.gif  Linkercall fails because of Windowslimit [message #1736918] Mon, 04 July 2016 11:37
Flow Bar is currently offline Flow BarFriend
Hello everybody,

i have a strange problem with eclipse in combination of Windows. I have to use Windows
and trapped into the problem that the max. parameterlenth in windows is fixed to about 31k signs.

Im using a gcc compiler and a sh-shell to compile all my c-code. Compilation is doing good, but the
linkercall fails becaus it is much longer than 31k. It seems thats much, but with hundreds of src-files and external
software you will reach that limit someday when you link all objects. When eclpise is calling my linker with the parameter
there will be a error.

Im Using the generated makefiles from eclipse to create a workaround for me. I edit the makefile after generation and
created a file with all objects inside to link. That works..Smile

For future CDT Versions it would be great when there will be a otion to generate a Objectlist for the Linker File.
Actually its very easy to handle that while the makefile is generated.
There is the same problem with "make clean". I alo wrote a little script to clean all objects in row.

I think that would be a nice feature in a future version of cdt.

How do you solve such strange windwos problems?
What do you thing about implementation in a future eclipse cdt version?
Previous Topic:Linux debugging GUI issue
Next Topic:DLL build gives undef-referenced function error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:20:31 GMT 2024