Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Key to editor symbols(Underscore under line number)
Key to editor symbols [message #1735128] Wed, 15 June 2016 17:27 Go to next message
Chuck Pergiel is currently offline Chuck PergielFriend
I'm using the default CDT editor to edit a file, I mash some keys and an underscore appears under a line number in the left hand margin of the edit box.
What does that indicate? How do I turn it off?
Now that I look, I notice a couple other indicators:

a faint hyphen inside a circle just to the right of the line numbers, which I suppose collapses a block,
    a small green block to the left of the line number, and
    a small pink block over a different line number.

I went to help and tried to find an explanation for all these widgets, but no luck.

Sent from my Commodore-64 via a US Robotics 300 Baud Modem
Re: Key to editor symbols [message #1735370 is a reply to message #1735128] Fri, 17 June 2016 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Look at General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Annotations for many of the margin symbols.

The leftmost column indicates the scope of the current selected line. The color depends on the theme.
Changed lines are shown using something called Quick Diff
You can change the colors of these at General -> Editors -> Text Editors ->Quick Diff
These appear over the line number unless you specified them to appear in the overview ruler (the column to the right of the vertical scrollbar).
There is a horizontal line placed between line numbers to indicate deletions

Quote:
a faint hyphen inside a circle just to the right of the line numbers, which I suppose collapses a block,

Yes and it turns to a + in a circle if collapsed.

Re: Key to editor symbols [message #1735414 is a reply to message #1735370] Sat, 18 June 2016 17:38 Go to previous message
Chuck Pergiel is currently offline Chuck PergielFriend
Thanks. General? General what? Then I looked around and found Windows -> Preferences -> General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Annotations
Just set up twin vertical monitors and the frame containing the list of annotation types is only about a half an inch wide, which makes them a little hard to read. Guess I'm going to have to switch one monitor back to landscape mode. This isn't the only reason, lot's of stuff looks funny in portrait mode.

Sent from my Commodore-64 via a US Robotics 300 Baud Modem
Previous Topic:Qt Hello World project won't compile on Luna/Mageia
Next Topic:No line xxx in file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:14:51 GMT 2024