Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Extra long delay in updating views(Long delays (in the minutes) before problem markers are cleared in the Project Explorer view or visibility markers are updated in Outline)
Extra long delay in updating views [message #1734338] Tue, 07 June 2016 09:26
Amenel Voglozin is currently offline Amenel VoglozinFriend
Hello,
I have recently noticed that I was facing very long delays before views that depend on the status of code are updated. Typically, these are views that reflect either a problem (warning or error), or the visibility of fields of a class. Examples of such views are Package Explorer, Project Explorer and Outline.

For instance, say I have a field written like this in a class:
String action;

In the Outline view, the field action will be tagged with a blue icon denoting default visibility. Let' say I then write it like this:
private String action;

From the moment I change the visibility to "private" to the moment it is reflected as a red square in the Outline view, the delay can be up to two minutes.

The same kind of delay occurs with the error or warning icon overlay that appears as icon decoration of filenames (for instance, in Package Explorer or in the SVN Synchronize perspective). As far as I can tell, the only view that is near-instantaneous in reflecting the code I'm working on is the Problems view.

I've made a few contributions to an Eclipse plugin; I'm therefore familiar with the Job concept and the scheduling of jobs in the Eclipse architecture. However, I fail to understand this very long delay updating code-dependent views.

Sometimes, even cleaning the project or refreshing it has no effect. I have to either close it and reopen it, or outright restart Eclipse.

I'm currently running a CDT-based Mars.2 Eclipse with additional tools (PDT, JDT, JSDT) and a few other plugins (MercurialEclipse, Dali, Graphiti and Subversive).

Is there a configuration option somewhere to make the update of Outilne and Package Explorer more instantaneous? Is there anything I can do?
Thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2016 11:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Java does not count normal
Next Topic:An apparent bug in the Eclipse compiler for Java 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:46:56 GMT 2024