Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse CDT for remote C++ development?
Eclipse CDT for remote C++ development? [message #1732748] Thu, 19 May 2016 13:40 Go to next message
Ilya Afanasiev is currently offline Ilya AfanasievFriend
Hello everyone,

Any plans on supporting for the following (maybe not very usual) scenario?

Long story short:
I want to use Eclipse CDT client installed on my Windows laptop, to edit/index Eclipse CDT project created on a remote Linux system. Clicking "Save" immediately updates remote source files. Compile/build is executed in a remote system, Eclipse CDT is used just as an "advanced editor with early syntax error reporting feature".

Bit more background:
I just finished playing with RDT tools and my Eclipse CDT (Mars.2 / Release 4.5.2), in order to enable mentioned scenario. Not too much luck due to 2 reasons.
(1) my employer does not provide me with root privileges, so I was unable to bring up RDT daemon (for details see this article), tried to start RDT server, and still got a mess with connecting to a remote Linux filesystem.
(2) Even if RDT server would magically start for me, I am still unable to efficiently use it due to installing Parallel Tools Platform does not provide me with "new remote C/C++ project) as I initially expected.

To avoid derailing the discussion too far from my question, I must admit I realize that one among good workarounds is just to install Eclipse CDT directly to a remote system and use X-clients such as VNC to edit remote code in this remote Eclipse IDE.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Eclipse CDT for remote C++ development? [message #1733108 is a reply to message #1732748] Tue, 24 May 2016 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julian Santander is currently offline Julian SantanderFriend
I'm trying to make a Remote C++ project work myself.

Some notes:

1. Creation of a Synchronized C/C++ Project is on File->New->Other -> Other -> Synchronized C/C++ Project. You must install both CDT and PTP components for this to appear.
  2. I'm not entirely sure that RDT is needed for Mars and later, I believe it relies on Jsch (i.e. the ability to create an ssh connection to the remote host) and the presence of git in both local and remote.
  3. In any case you could connect to a running RDT, without the need to set up a daemon... To do that

1. On the remote server, execute cd /opt/rse && perl ./server.pl
    2. On Eclipse, on the RSE, set the Launcher Properties as "Running".

Re: Eclipse CDT for remote C++ development? [message #1733444 is a reply to message #1733108] Fri, 27 May 2016 14:33 Go to previous message
Ilya Afanasiev is currently offline Ilya AfanasievFriend
Ok, so I have Eclipse CDT, Mars2-based with the following components installed:

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers 4.5.2.20160218-0600
PTP Contributed Target System Configurations 9.0.2.201512081413
PTP ETFw PerfSuite 9.0.2.201512081413
PTP External Tools Framework TAU Extension 9.0.2.201512081413
PTP Graphical Explorer of MPI Programs (GEM) 9.0.2.201512081413
PTP Parallel Language Development Tools UPC Support 9.0.2.201512081413
PTP Scalable Debug Manager (SDM) 9.0.2.201512081413
Remote Command Shell Console 2.0.2.201601141453
Remote System Explorer User Actions 3.7.0.201505221634

Regarding (1):
There's no option to create project via
File->New->Other -> Other -> Synchronized C/C++ Project.
as far as there's no
File->New->Other -> Other
option

Am I missing something?
That's why I actually started this thread -- it looks a bit tricky to work with remote C++ projects unless I am an Eclipse guru Smile
So -- it would be very-very-very good if CDT developers would consider adding this feature by default to CDT distribution.

Thanks again
-ilya
Previous Topic:Deleting a selected include paths removes all paths
Next Topic:Method 'cend' could not be resolved, but build is successful
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:17:22 GMT 2024