Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Cannot install additional software(Title may be somewhat misleading, but show one of the issue I have found)
Cannot install additional software [message #1732426] Tue, 17 May 2016 08:29 Go to next message
Leo List is currently offline Leo ListFriend
I'm running eclipse V 4.5.2 on 64bit Ubuntu 16.04 with Oracle 1.8 JDK and found the following issue.

After installing eclipse IDE for Java Developers via the eclipse Installer, I select Launch and everything looks fine. For example, when I select Installation Details I get the expected outcome (see attached).

I then exit out of eclipse, but when I invoke eclipse again from the command line, I get no popup window any longer when I select Installation Details, but there are no errors/warnings/etc.

I've used eclipse for a while, but have never seen this behavior; this is, however, a new install on a new box.

My questions are:

1) Why would this work from the launcher in the eclipse installer, but not from the command line

2) How can I fix this

Thanks

Re: Cannot install additional software [message #1732535 is a reply to message #1732426] Wed, 18 May 2016 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Leo,

It's likely related to GTK 2 verses 3. In the installer we include this
option in the eclipse-inst.ini

--launcher.GTK_version

Perhaps that's somehow "inherited" by the child process when launched
from the installer. You could look in the Error log view to see if
you're seeing GTK-related exceptions. You could also try adding that
option (as two separate new lines in the eclipse.ini).

On 17.05.2016 16:22, Leo List wrote:
> I'm running eclipse V 4.5.2 on 64bit Ubuntu 16.04 with Oracle 1.8 JDK and found the following issue.
>
> After installing eclipse IDE for Java Developers via the eclipse Installer, I select Launch and everything looks fine. For example, when I select Installation Details I get the expected outcome (see attached).
>
> I then exit out of eclipse, but when I invoke eclipse again from the command line, I get no popup window any longer when I select Installation Details, but there are no errors/warnings/etc.
>
> I've used eclipse for a while, but have never seen this behavior; this is, however, a new install on a new box.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Why would this work from the launcher in the eclipse installer, but not from the command line
>
> 2) How can I fix this
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Cannot install additional software [message #1732537 is a reply to message #1732535] Wed, 18 May 2016 06:21 Go to previous message
Leo List is currently offline Leo ListFriend
Brilliant.

Adding
----
--launcher.GTK_version
----
to eclipse.ini fixed this

Thank you

[Updated on: Wed, 18 May 2016 06:29]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Inactive Proposal Computers created when triggering first content assist
Next Topic:Java returned exit code = 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:09:59 GMT 2024