Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException(Problem registering e4 model popup menu to FX component; no EBindingService in context)
EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1732004] Wed, 11 May 2016 15:22 Go to next message
Elias Vasylenko is currently offline Elias VasylenkoFriend
I have a TreeCell implementation something like the following:

@Creatable
public class ExampleTreeCell extends TreeCell<TreeItemData<?>> {
	private static String CONTEXT_MENU_ID = "blah.blah.blah.example";

@PostConstruct
	void initialise(EMenuService menuService, @LocalInstance FXMLLoader loader) throws IOException {
		loader.setLocation(location());
		loader.setRoot(this);
		loader.setController(this);
		loader.load();

menuService.registerContextMenu(this, CONTEXT_MENU_ID);
	}

/*
	 */
}

Where instances are created elsewhere via a "javax.inject.Provider<ExampleTreeCell>" injection.

This works fine for an empty popup menu, it comes up on the screen on right click so I know it's attached to a valid component and stuff.

The problem occurs when I add a handled menu item to the e4 model, after which injection fails with a null pointer exception:

Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseMenuItemRenderer.initWidget(BaseMenuItemRenderer.java:63)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseMenuItemRenderer.initWidget(BaseMenuItemRenderer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseRenderer.createWidget(BaseRenderer.java:189)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseRenderer.createWidget(BaseRenderer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx.PartRenderingEngine.createWidget(PartRenderingEngine.java:277)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:241)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:323)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseRenderer.engineCreateWidget(BaseRenderer.java:619)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BasePopupMenuRenderer.doProcessContent(BasePopupMenuRenderer.java:191)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BasePopupMenuRenderer.doProcessContent(BasePopupMenuRenderer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.base.BaseRenderer.processContent(BaseRenderer.java:713)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:244)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.fx.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:323)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.fx.internal.PartPopupMenuServiceImpl.registerMenu(PartPopupMenuServiceImpl.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.fx.ui.workbench.renderers.fx.internal.PartPopupMenuServiceImpl.registerContextMenu(PartPopupMenuServiceImpl.java:41)
	at uk.co.strangeskies.eclipse.E4TreeItemType.configureCell(E4TreeItemType.java:49)
	at ... (not sure if more is useful)

I've tried a few different ways of reorganising it, e.g. to construct ExampleTreeCell manually rather than making it @Creatable and then having the containing Part itself register the context menu to it. I always end up with that null pointer exception, with no EBindingService instance found in the model context of the menu item renderer.

I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here, any pointers would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2016 08:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736296 is a reply to message #1732004] Tue, 28 June 2016 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay I came back to this today and figured out I needed to add the org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.BindingServiceAddon addon to the application. Is this documented anywhere? It wasn't exactly obvious, to me at least ...

Anyway, hope this helps someone having similar problems Smile
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736308 is a reply to message #1736296] Tue, 28 June 2016 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Well the wizards should have bootstrapped an e4xmi with that, not?

Tom

On 28.06.16 12:11, Elias Vasylenko wrote:
> Okay I came back to this today and figured out I needed to add the
> org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.BindingServiceAddon addon to the
> application. Is this documented anywhere? It wasn't exactly obvious, to
> me at least ...
>
> Anyway, hope this helps someone having similar problems :)
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736312 is a reply to message #1736308] Tue, 28 June 2016 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, it looks like they do, fair point. I hadn't used the wizard as A) I was porting from an existing swt project and B) I am using some different tooling so much of the generated project configuration isn't really relevant to me.

Cheers
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736313 is a reply to message #1736296] Tue, 28 June 2016 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Hi,

Can you please file a bug we should not throw an NPE but log an error a
continue.

To your question which addons are mandatory more or less

> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWpPWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.service" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.e4.core.commands/org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.CommandServiceAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWpfWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.e4.ui.contexts.service" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.e4.ui.services/org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.ContextServiceAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWpvWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.service" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4/org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.BindingServiceAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWp_WZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.commands.model" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench/org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.addons.CommandProcessingAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWqPWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.contexts.model" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench/org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.addons.ContextProcessingAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWqfWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.model" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4/org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.BindingProcessingAddon"/>
> <addons xmi:id="_HxbWqvWZEeWvDMBH5dUovg" elementId="org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.addons.HandlerProcessingAddon" contributionURI="bundleclass://org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench/org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.addons.HandlerProcessingAddon"/>

Tom

On 28.06.16 12:11, Elias Vasylenko wrote:
> Okay I came back to this today and figured out I needed to add the
> org.eclipse.fx.ui.keybindings.e4.BindingServiceAddon addon to the
> application. Is this documented anywhere? It wasn't exactly obvious, to
> me at least ...
>
> Anyway, hope this helps someone having similar problems :)
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736316 is a reply to message #1736312] Tue, 28 June 2016 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Elias Vasylenko wrote on Tue, 28 June 2016 13:30
Sure, it looks like they do, fair point. I hadn't used the wizard as A) I was porting from an existing swt project and B) I am using some different tooling so much of the generated project configuration isn't really relevant to me.

Cheers

I think I mentioned thad addon in my SWT to JavaFX migration guide [1] Wink

https://blog.codecentric.de/en/2015/02/swt-javafx-migration-eclipse-rcp-cookbook/
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736345 is a reply to message #1736316] Tue, 28 June 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fantastic, thanks for the help/resources, guys Smile. Dirk, I'll definitely have a look through that. Thomas, it's the end of the day here now, but yes I'll be happy to file a bug for this tomorrow morning.
Re: EMenuService.registerContextMenu causes NullPointerException [message #1736347 is a reply to message #1736345] Tue, 28 June 2016 16:17 Go to previous message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Oh, almost forgot that my tutorial is about 1.2 (still contains some valid information). But there is also one by Christoph Keimel that covers e(fx)clipse 2.0 [1]. Small but important differences that need to be considered.

Both tutorials together should give a good introduction on a migration from SWT to JavaFX for Eclipse RCP applications.

[1] http://www.kware.net/?p=64
Previous Topic:JavaFX ViewPart under MS Windows?
Next Topic:MenuContribution not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:09:09 GMT 2024