Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance.
Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance. [message #1728496] Tue, 05 April 2016 01:50 Go to next message
Huda Rawasia is currently offline Huda RawasiaFriend
Hello,
We're developing an Eclipse product plugin, it should have it's own "install updates" so we tried to integrate it with p2. When I clicked on "Eclipse Menu > Help > Install New Software" an error comes up, "This installation has not been configured properly for Software Updates. See the error log for details". This is what the error log says:

msg: Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this application's config.ini file.

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.7.0_79
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product com.ibm.imte.dcw.ide.ibmdcw
Command-line arguments: -product com.ibm.imte.dcw.ide.ibmdcw -data /Users/huda/Documents/workspace/../runtime-dcw.product2 -dev file:/Users/huda/Documents/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/dcw.product/dev.properties -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consoleLog

This is what I've in the .product file:
Configuration tab:

<configurations>
<plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="0" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.event" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins" autoStart="true" startLevel="0" />
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
</configurations>

Eclipse Information:
I'm using Eclipse:
Eclipse 4.4.2 (version Eclipse IDE for Java Developers)
My computer info:
-os
macosx
-ws
cocoa
-arch
x86_64
-nl
en_US

Re: Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance. [message #1728569 is a reply to message #1728496] Tue, 05 April 2016 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrik Suzzi is currently offline Patrik SuzziFriend
As first thing It seems you are not using the "Recommended start levels".

According Vogella's tutorial Eclipse RCP > set start levels , the recommended start levels are like below.

<configurations>
 <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="4" />
 <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2"/>
 <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
 <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
 <plugin id="org.eclipse.update.configurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="4" />
 <property name="org.eclipse.update.reconcile" value="false" />
</configurations>

You can easily set the recommended start levels:
http://i.imgur.com/lN5oy1H.gif

Then, specifically for your case, I guess you should launch your software with the support of software installation in the launched application.

As an example, in the launch configuration is like in the image below:
http://i.imgur.com/7Ami6Mt.png

See also:
stackoverflow, eclipse-rcp-application-built-on-luna-sometime-misses-bundle-on-windows
stackoverflow, help-install-new-software-fails-to-run-from-source-code
Re: Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance. [message #1728584 is a reply to message #1728569] Tue, 05 April 2016 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Patrik,

Thank you for your response.. I added all the recommended start levels as what Eclipse provided. Checking the "software install" box will only solve the issue for that particular "Run configuration". Ie. if I export the plugin as product, I will continue to get that error "This installation is not configured properly for Software Updates. See the error log for details". Is there somehow I can specify the following "Support Software install in the launched configuration" in any config file? I want this setting for any user who launchers the application, not just in my current "Run Configuration"
Re: Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance. [message #1728593 is a reply to message #1728584] Tue, 05 April 2016 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could someone please help? I'll really appreciate it.. thanks
Re: Install update (p2): Could not locate the running profile instance. [message #1728616 is a reply to message #1728593] Tue, 05 April 2016 21:50 Go to previous message
the problem is resolved.. just had to export the plugin product with following: Generate p2 repository
Previous Topic:How to use console view in Eclipse RCP Application
Next Topic:*.addons.dndaddon classes with only package visibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:02:59 GMT 2024