Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Changed thread handling for Eclipse JUnit plugin?
Changed thread handling for Eclipse JUnit plugin? [message #1727369] Tue, 22 March 2016 13:26
Chris S is currently offline Chris SFriend
Hi,
I'm not sure exactly when this has happened, but when we upgraded our eclipse installs from Kepler to Mars we started getting some problems and I was hoping someone can explain the strange effects we are seeing.

Background:
We have an in-house developed JUnit runner, which spawns up a number of JVMs that runs the junit testclasses in parallel. Up until now, this has given large speed gains for running our test suites, but after moving to Mars, there's suddenly a performance loss if we use more than one process. There has to be some swapping going on as the parallelization gains disappear, but it does not seem to be related to our test structure as multiple separate projects are seeing the same thing.
When using the same custom runner from an ant build, there's still a significant speedup with multiple processes (tested on the same machine as the Eclipse run described above) so this seems to indicate that it is some change in Eclipse that is responsible for this and not in our runner or test cases. More threads?

My question is if anyone knows if there's been changes in Eclipse (either in the JUnit plugin part of JDT or elsewhere) that would be "stealing" a lot more CPU? Are there some assumptions on the test runners not being parallel? If there's such a change, any ideas if we could work around this?

We have tried to check commit history etc on the Eclipse Junit plugin, but did not see anything that immediately jumped out, but we have not gone through the diffs in detail.
Previous Topic:How can I edit the quick fix?
Next Topic:Moving forward/backward by word
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:15:53 GMT 2024