Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Turning PDT to a language server API?
Turning PDT to a language server API? [message #1726182] Thu, 10 March 2016 11:55 Go to next message
Jari Pennanen is currently offline Jari PennanenFriend
Hello,

I would like to inquire from PDT developers have they looked on the various language server approaches popping up lately, and what it would require to build PHP support based on PDT?

Don't get me wrong I still use Eclipse PDT and it's best of the best out there for Open Source IDE's for PHP, but Eclipse itself starts to show it's age, and if PDT can be turned a language server it could be plugged to VSCode/Atom, and pretty much any IDE.

For example Ensime-Server for Scala is a good example of such language server implementation. It soon is ready to be used in VSCode too among others it already supports. (And of course the mother of language servers the C# Roslyn compiler works as service, and is a good example)

So my question is has any PDT developers looked at what it would take to turn it to language server? I think VSCode language server support is solid and looking at it's API one should get sense what is required.

Thanks.
Re: Turning PDT to a language server API? [message #1726326 is a reply to message #1726182] Fri, 11 March 2016 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michal Niewrzal is currently offline Michal NiewrzalFriend
Hi,

In general idea is interesting Smile Problem is that actual team size gives us ability to do things like bug fixing, some improvements or support for new PHP versions. Extracting core functionalities from PDT would be huuuge work. Only removing dependencies to Eclipse API would be a massive change. So from my point of view I don't see a chance to have such product in near future. But it's open source, anyone can give it a try Wink
Re: Turning PDT to a language server API? [message #1749482 is a reply to message #1726326] Wed, 07 December 2016 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jari Pennanen is currently offline Jari PennanenFriend
Work for a general purpose language server for PHP has begun, it's naturally written in PHP itself. It's URL is here: https://github.com/felixfbecker/php-language-server - it will be used in next "Eclipse" the "Eclipse Che" also.

Though as one could have expected they are reinventing the wheel, rims and everything it will take a while, and definitely the experience spent building PDT would be usefull in that project.
Re: Turning PDT to a language server API? [message #1749589 is a reply to message #1749482] Thu, 08 December 2016 13:05 Go to previous message
Michal Niewrzal is currently offline Michal NiewrzalFriend
Thanks for info. We know about PHP Language Sever and we are trying to support author Smile
Previous Topic:xdebug2.5 not working
Next Topic:Formatter Nullable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 20 04:52:14 GMT 2018