Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Resolved bugs still unresolved?(What to do when resolved bugs are still causing problems)
Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726029] Wed, 09 March 2016 07:06 Go to next message
Michael Stanzel is currently offline Michael StanzelFriend
Not all of us are software engineers.

But a simple drag and drop of a JLabel or JText onto a FormLayout shouldn't lock up the design software or require that someone be an engineer to figure it out. It shouldn't even be an issue by now. Eclipse and WIndowBuilder has been around for years.

A bug was reported "Windowbuilder crashed after Java Upgrade [message #1438556] 06 October 2014".

It has been documented as bug 440411

There have been numerous bugs reported and marked as duplicate regarding this issue.

Even though I have uninstalled and reinstalled JDK1.8 and windowbuilder, tried using older versions, checked for new versions, spent hours searching internet forums (which is my only resource), I have been unable to find any kind of solution other than
"this bug has been reported and a workaround was introduced."

After more hours of internet and forum searching, I learned the workaround was introduced in the "integrated version" which appears to be the latest version.

My code works, I am copying it from a tutorial about JDBC so I can't even take credit for that.

But the problem still exists. Every time I make a change to the project, WindowBuilder locks up and I get the "WindowBuilder has encountered an unexpected internal error."

There doesn't seem to be any solution to this bug. Other than restarting Eclipse every couple of minutes.

Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726137 is a reply to message #1726029] Thu, 10 March 2016 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
It would be helpful to see the actual exception you are encountering and your Eclipse .log file. Include details on the exact Java version, Eclipse version, and WindowBuilder version. The bug documented as 440411 was fixed, but that does not mean that you aren't encountering something new/different. New bugs are introduced in the JDK on a fairly frequent basis that can potential break WindowBuilder. If we get a bug report that shows something happening in the current Eclipse/WindowBuilder/JDK config, then we would look at it. A bug report showing an old version and an old manifestation of an old bug won't get much traction.
Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726140 is a reply to message #1726137] Thu, 10 March 2016 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As noted, I have gone to the help tab and checked for updates. This is the list of some of the installed software/plugin versions. I assume that by "checking for updates" I would always be using the latest and greatest version.

I am running Windows 10.

Java version 8 update 73.

Eclipse Standard/SDK 2.0.2.20140224-0000
Eclipse Platform 4.3.2.M20140221-1700

Swing Designer 1.6.1.r43x201309100023
SWT Designer 1.6.1.r43x201309100008
SWT Designer Core 1.6.1.r43x201309092350
WindowBuilder Core 1.6.1.r43x201309092314
WindowBuilder Core UI 1.6.1.r43x201309092325
WindowBuilder GroupLayout Support 1.6.1.r43x201309092345
WindowBuilder Java Core 1.6.1.r43x201309092318
WindowBuilder XML Core (requires Eclipse WTP/WST) 1.6.1.r43x201309092330

I am referncing JRE System Library[ jre 1.8.0_74 ]
and mysql-connector-java-5.1.29-bin.jar

I went back to my code and simply changed the comments from
private JPanel contentPane1 to public JPanel contentPane1

public JPanel contentPane1;
//private JPanel contentPane1;

to:
//public JPanel contentPane1;
private JPanel contentPane1;

and got the error:

Exception during 'super' constructor evaluation
An exception happened during evaluation of constructor JFrame() using arguments {}.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.beans.MethodRef.get(Unknown Source)
at java.beans.PropertyDescriptor.getWriteMethod(Unknown Source)

I shut down Eclipse and restarted and the design window was available again.

I switched to a different class of the same project.

I changed the attribute for a JLabel from "New label" to "Salary" in the design window.
So far so good.

Then I wanted to add a new JJabel using the design window. I clicked on the JLabel component, and clicked on the contentPanel.

WIndowBuilder locked up again and gave me the error:

Exception during 'super' constructor evaluation
An exception happened during evaluation of constructor JDialog() using arguments {}.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.beans.MethodRef.get(Unknown Source)
at java.beans.PropertyDescriptor.getWriteMethod(Unknown Source)

First error was referencing JFrame and second error was referencing JDialog.

I included the .log file and the report.

Any help would be appreciated, WindowBuilder is unusable right now.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2016 04:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726277 is a reply to message #1726140] Thu, 10 March 2016 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Based on your config info, you are using an old version of Eclipse from 2014 (two major releases out of date) and an even older version of WindowBuilder from 2013 (that predates the fix I referenced earlier).

I would suggest installing Eclipse 4.5 along with the latest version of WindowBuilder.
Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726280 is a reply to message #1726277] Fri, 11 March 2016 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I assumed by that by checking for software updates through Eclipse I would be getting the most recent software.

Appreciate the help.
Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726283 is a reply to message #1726277] Fri, 11 March 2016 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uploaded and installed Mars. Installer was super easy to use.

BUT, still have the same problem.

I used the same workspace (default) that Kepler was using. I received a warning that the workspace would be unusable with older versions. (I did backup the old workspace somewhere else).

I then used the import wizard to import the project into Eclipse from the same workspace.

I deleted the original class which was written in the Kepler version and started over creating a new JPanel.

I added the formlayout tool.

Then a JLabel field.

Now I wanted to add a JTextField.

That's when the error occurred. Same as before.

Internal Error

WindowBuilder encountered unexpected internal error.

This could be caused by a WindowBuilder bug or by a misconfiguration issue, conflict, partial update, etc.

java.lang.Error: new FormLayout(new ColumnSpec[] { com.jgoodies.forms.layout.FormSpecs.RELATED_GAP_COLSPEC, com.jgoodies.forms.layout.FormSpecs.DEFAULT_COLSPEC,}, new RowSpec[] { com.jgoodies.forms.layout.FormSpecs.RELATED_GAP_ROWSPEC, com.jgoodies.forms.layout.FormSpecs.DEFAULT_ROWSPEC,})

There are a lot of source code errors showing up regarding jgoodies FormSpecs not being resolved to a variable. All my google searches referenced problems in 2014 or older.

All the code was generated by windowbuilder and/or Eclipse.

Windows 10

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers 4.5.2.20160218-0600
Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.11.2.v20160212-1500
Eclipse Platform 4.5.2.v20160212-1500

Swing Designer 1.8.0r45x201506110826

WindowBuilder Core 1.8.0r45x201506110820

The problem doesn't seem to be occurring using a miglayout instead of formlayout.

I've included the bug report and the log file.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 March 2016 06:21]

Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726602 is a reply to message #1726283] Tue, 15 March 2016 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same problem? Looks like an entirely different problem with a completely different exception.

jGoodies FormLayout is going to be tough because you would pretty much have to use the same version that WindowBuilder was coded to work with and that is a couple revs out of date at this point. The jGoodies folks have changed their API several times and haven't been very good about keeping it backward compatible, and we haven't made any updates to the jGoodies support code in a very long time (and probably won't any time soon unless some new committers sign up).

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2016 02:13]

Re: Resolved bugs still unresolved? [message #1726855 is a reply to message #1726602] Thu, 17 March 2016 03:25 Go to previous message
Guess I meant the same problem is the project locks up whenever I tried to add a JTextbox or JLabel to a FormLayout with WindowBuilder

I think it should be noted that FormLayout should be avoided when creating a GUI with WindowBuilder and possibly removed from the Pallete as an option. Especially with the up to date versions.

For the layperson trying to follow an older step by step tutorial which may use FormLayout it could save a lot of time.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2016 04:35]

Previous Topic: Create BPMN2DiagramWizard avec jframe
Next Topic:Where to find old GWT Designer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:42:02 GMT 2024