Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Cannot Delete Folder(s)
Cannot Delete Folder(s) [message #1725341] Wed, 02 March 2016 17:45 Go to next message
Brian Smither is currently offline Brian SmitherFriend
I mistakenly managed to create a folder, and every attempt to delete it only immediately brought it back. I tried deleting it from outside of Eclipse, only to get a "Files out of sync" condition.

There was a reference to this folder in the Java Build Path properties page, Source tab, Default output folder.

Incredibly confusing.

But there is a persistent problem getting Eclipse to delete folders. It seems that if Eclipse is told to delete a folder that has a sub-folder (that has a sub-folder, recursed), there will always be a problem.

Right-click the folder, select Rename...

Gave a new name, clicked OK.

A dialog window pops up:
Rename Resource
An exception has been caught while processing the Refactoring 'Rename Resource'.
Reason: Problems encountered while moving resources.

Problems encountered while moving resources.
  Could not move: C:\Users\AMD-FX\Eclipse\workspace\company_management\company_management.
    Problems encountered while deleting files.
      Could not delete: C:\Users\AMD-FX\Eclipse\workspace\company_management\company_management\WEB-INF\classes\company_management.
      Could not delete: C:\Users\AMD-FX\Eclipse\workspace\company_management\company_management\WEB-INF\classes.
      Could not delete: C:\Users\AMD-FX\Eclipse\workspace\company_management\company_management\WEB-INF.
      Could not delete: C:\Users\AMD-FX\Eclipse\workspace\company_management\company_management.

It seems Eclipse is able to delete the last folder in the path, but then chokes trying to delete the remaining last folder in the path.

I have to progress up the path one folder at a time.
Re: Cannot Delete Folder(s) [message #1725354 is a reply to message #1725341] Wed, 02 March 2016 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What version of Eclipse are you using? Is it the latest?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Cannot Delete Folder(s) [message #1725369 is a reply to message #1725354] Thu, 03 March 2016 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The latest enough, I suppose.

I haven't found a comprehensive change log from Mars.1 to Mars.2, so I have not yet decided if it is worth upgrading (not that upgrading is an onerous process).
Re: Cannot Delete Folder(s) [message #1725378 is a reply to message #1725369] Thu, 03 March 2016 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

With Windows this tends to happen if something has a file open, or a Command Prompt window is sitting in the directory. Does it happen with folders that aren't under the default output folder ?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Cannot Delete Folder(s) [message #1725496 is a reply to message #1725378] Thu, 03 March 2016 21:04 Go to previous message
Without having made specific experiments, I will say, not 100% sure, that deleting a folder under the 'src' folder in the Project View will delete all subordinate folders recursively. Again, I will have to double-check.
Previous Topic:Problems With Java Based Eclipse File
Next Topic:enabling TLS 1.1?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:54:55 GMT 2024