Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA?
UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA? [message #1724356] Tue, 23 February 2016 10:53 Go to next message
Michael Zach is currently offline Michael ZachFriend
Messages: 7
Registered: November 2015
Junior Member
Hello,

following an MDA/MDSD approach, is it possible in Eclipse to have metamodel AND model both represented in UML?

All tutorials (using QVT and XPAND) were only having the metamodel in EMF also visualized as UML diagram, but the model then was just filled in bare Ecore tools.

Is there another way while still using QVT/XPAND?

Kind regards
Michael

I have been following these tutorials so far:
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseEMF/article.html
http://redpanda.nl/index.php?p=tutorial9
http://www.peterfriese.de/getting-started-with-code-generation-with-xpand/

[Updated on: Tue, 23 February 2016 11:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA? [message #1724367 is a reply to message #1724356] Tue, 23 February 2016 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian W. Damus is currently offline Christian W. DamusFriend
Messages: 1172
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi, Michael,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Metamodeling is a restricted
case of modeling, in which you design the structure of models. That
uses only concepts of class, property, association, operation, and a
few others from the UML. It happens to be the subset that maps to
EMF's Ecore (rather deliberately) and, in the Eclipse implementation of
UML, metamodeling with UML does imply a translation to Ecore in order
to implement models based on your metamodel.

So, with the Eclipse tools, you can certainly use UML for definition of
a metamodel and then create an EMF generator model from your metamodel
to generate its implementation. This is exactly how the Eclipse UML
implementation, itself, is generated.

HTH,

Christian


On 2016-02-23 10:53:46 +0000, Michael Zach said:

> Hello,
>
> following an MDA/MDSD approach, is it possible in Eclipse to have
> metamodel AND model both represented in UML?
>
> All tutorials (using QVT and XPAND) were only having the metamodel in
> EMF also visualized as UML diagram, but the model then was just filled
> in bare Ecore tools.
>
> Is there another way while still using QVT/XPAND?
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
Re: UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA? [message #1724369 is a reply to message #1724356] Tue, 23 February 2016 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 5929
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

UML provides a design / specification of your system; not an implementation.

If you want instances then you need an implementation approach for which
Ecore and Java are a very popular solution. But it won't work well if
you like C++.

That said, it is possible to model instances in UML using
InstanceSpecifications, but this is normally for design / documentation
/ test purposes. IMHO you would be mad to use InstanceSpecifications as
part of an implementation.

Regards

Ed Willink



On 23/02/2016 10:53, Michael Zach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> following an MDA/MDSD approach, is it possible in Eclipse to have
> metamodel AND model both represented in UML?
>
> All tutorials (using QVT and XPAND) were only having the metamodel in
> EMF also visualized as UML diagram, but the model then was just filled
> in bare Ecore tools.
>
> Is there another way while still using QVT/XPAND?
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>
>
>
>
Re: UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA? [message #1725210 is a reply to message #1724367] Tue, 01 March 2016 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Zach is currently offline Michael ZachFriend
Messages: 7
Registered: November 2015
Junior Member
Hello Christian! Hello Ed!

> UML provides a design / specification of your system; not an implementation.

Yes of course. In my case the "metamodel" is the specification for the "model".
My problem is not to get some Java/C++ code at the end, but another Editor which is capable of defining a model in it following the constraints defined in the metamodel.
Hope my emplanation is confusing enough ;o)


> So, with the Eclipse tools, you can certainly use UML for definition of
> a metamodel and then create an EMF generator model from your metamodel
> to generate its implementation. This is exactly how the Eclipse UML
> implementation, itself, is generated.

Yes, this is exactly what I did.

I was just wondering, if there is an alternative/option for the generation of the implementation of the EMF generator model. Because all I get at the end is a property/value kind of editor which of course implements the classes, properties, constraints etc. of the metamodel.

What I was looking for was a way to get a graphical UML class diagram - style editor for the model at the end. That was what I was heading for:
* define an UML class diagram for the metamodel
* create an EMF generator model from it
* implement the metamodel and
* get a UML class diagram editor (kind of) where I can now graphically define the model (instead of having this tree/detail editor where I can only fill in the property/value pairs)

Hope you know what I mean.


I have now heard about GMF, but I am not sure if I can tweak it to really get UML style diagrams.

Thank you
Michael

Re: UML diagram for model AND metamodel in MDA? [message #1725216 is a reply to message #1725210] Tue, 01 March 2016 18:55 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 5929
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

For UML-like custom diagrams you probably want Sirius.

For genuinely UML diagrams you probably want Papyrus.

(Both of which use GMF behind the scenes.)

Regards

Ed Willink


On 01/03/2016 17:28, Michael Zach wrote:
> Hello Christian! Hello Ed!
>
>> UML provides a design / specification of your system; not an
>> implementation.
>
> Yes of course. In my case the "metamodel" is the specification for the
> "model".
> My problem is not to get some Java/C++ code at the end, but another
> Editor which is capable of defining a model in it following the
> constraints defined in the metamodel.
> Hope my emplanation is confusing enough ;o)
>
>
>> So, with the Eclipse tools, you can certainly use UML for definition of
>> a metamodel and then create an EMF generator model from your metamodel
>> to generate its implementation. This is exactly how the Eclipse UML
>> implementation, itself, is generated.
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I did.
>
> I was just wondering, if there is an alternative/option for the
> generation of the implementation of the EMF generator model. Because
> all I get at the end is a property/value kind of editor which of
> course implements the classes, properties, constraints etc. of the
> metamodel.
> What I was looking for was a way to get a graphical UML class diagram
> - style editor for the model at the end. That was what I was heading for:
> * define an UML class diagram for the metamodel
> * create an EMF generator model from it
> * implement the metamodel and
> * get a UML class diagram editor (kind of) where I can now graphically
> define the model (instead of having this tree/detail editor where I
> can only fill in the property/value pairs)
>
> Hope you know what I mean.
>
>
> I have now heard about GMF, but I am not sure if I can tweak it to
> really get UML style diagrams.
>
> Thank you
> Michael
>
>
Previous Topic:Stereotype definitions and applications in the same file
Next Topic:Problem loading UML in stand alone application
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jun 20 15:36:34 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02085 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top