Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Importing .zip files(Need Help)
Importing .zip files [message #1723789] Wed, 17 February 2016 22:17 Go to next message
Gary Pirics is currently offline Gary PiricsFriend
I'm a total newbie when it comes to Java and Eclipse. So I apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm having trouble importing .zip files into Eclipse. I'm using Eclipse Mars.

Specifically, I'm trying to import .zip files with programming examples from Doug Lowe's Java All-In-One for Dummies website, but whatever I try to do this the example source code is either marked with an "x" or won't execute with Eclipse saying that it can't find a main program even though the source code does contain a valid "main" construct.

So, what is the best way to import .zip files (archive files?)?

I have a directory named C:\Java\Projects. I then open Eclipse and enter "C:\Java\Projects\JAIOFD in the Select a Workspace dialog. I next close the welcome window and open a Java perspective. Next, I create a project named "Book2". I right click on the Book2 folder in Package Explorer and select General->Archive File. I then browse to the directory where I've previously downloaded Lowe's Book 2.zip file for his Book2 examples and select "Finish". The result of what I get is in the attachment.

Questions:
1. Why aren't the source files listed under the .src package?
2. Why does the Launch Error dialog box state that Eclipse can't find a main type when there IS a main type in the HelloApp source file?

I KNOW I must be doing something wrong. I need help.

Thanks!
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723877 is a reply to message #1723789] Thu, 18 February 2016 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 02/17/2016 11:36 PM, Gary Pirics wrote:
> I'm a total newbie when it comes to Java and Eclipse. So I apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm having trouble importing .zip files into Eclipse. I'm using Eclipse Mars.
>
> Specifically, I'm trying to import .zip files with programming examples from Doug Lowe's Java All-In-One for Dummies website, but whatever I try to do this the example source code is either marked with an "x" or won't execute with Eclipse saying that it can't find a main program even though the source code does contain a valid "main" construct.
>
> So, what is the best way to import .zip files (archive files?)?
>
> I have a directory named C:\Java\Projects. I then open Eclipse and enter "C:\Java\Projects\JAIOFD in the Select a Workspace dialog. I next close the welcome window and open a Java perspective. Next, I create a project named "Book2". I right click on the Book2 folder in Package Explorer and select General->Archive File. I then browse to the directory where I've previously downloaded Lowe's Book 2.zip file for his Book2 examples and select "Finish". The result of what I get is in the attachment.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Why aren't the source files listed under the .src package?
> 2. Why does the Launch Error dialog box state that Eclipse can't find a main type when there IS a main type in the HelloApp source file?
>
> I KNOW I must be doing something wrong. I need help.
>
> Thanks!
>

Lowe did not provide Eclipse projects. You will have to create them
yourself. The format your illustration shows is ill-suited to actual
Java projects.

I would suggest that before tackling JAIOFD, you learn how to use
Eclipse and I would suggest the first two or three tutorials at this link:

http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/eclipseide.html
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723879 is a reply to message #1723877] Thu, 18 February 2016 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723880 is a reply to message #1723879] Thu, 18 February 2016 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Russell! I'll definitely do the Eclipse tutorials you suggested.
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723881 is a reply to message #1723877] Thu, 18 February 2016 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Russell. I'll definitely take the Eclipse tutorials you suggest...
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723887 is a reply to message #1723881] Thu, 18 February 2016 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 02/18/2016 10:10 AM, Gary Pirics wrote:
> Thanks Russell. I'll definitely take the Eclipse tutorials you suggest...

Here's an example, though its web nature will likely be beyond what
JAIOFD is doing, of notes I wrote doing exactly what you need to do.
They may be somewhat useful later.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/corejsf.html
Re: Importing .zip files [message #1723893 is a reply to message #1723887] Thu, 18 February 2016 20:59 Go to previous message
Thanks! Very helpful!
Previous Topic:Re: No Make.exe
Next Topic:Issue launchin RCP application in MacOS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:00:16 GMT 2024