Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Using a GUI for debugging (Eclipse and SDL )
icon10.gif  Using a GUI for debugging [message #1723299] Sat, 13 February 2016 20:23 Go to next message
Richard Mindorff is currently offline Richard MindorffFriend
I installed Eclipse luna on a Centos 7 linux laptop.
I installed CDT and can step through the Hello World example, but what I want to do is more complicated.
I wrote a C program using gcc, Allegro and SDL and no Eclipse to parse a page of text into small graphics bitmaps which I then want to examine and identify using a program I am writing in Eclipse.
I want to have three buttons; Previous, Next, and Identify and a display of the small bitmap of the current icon I wish to identify. Using Previous and Next buttons I want to move through the bitmaps then press Identify to examine the one displayed.
So I want to be able to move through my icons interactively using some multimedia library like SDL or Allegro together with Eclipse.
I don't know, perhaps Java can do this without a problem, in which case I'll learn Java.
If there is a book or manual that does this that would be great.
Thanks.
Re: Using a GUI for debugging [message #1723303 is a reply to message #1723299] Sun, 14 February 2016 01:24 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Most, if not all, GUI programs are reactive. That is, they respond to external stimuli. I've found it best to insert breakpoints in the button (and other) handlers vs. trying to step through the code from the beginning. which can lead to insanity.

Start your program and stop at the beginning. Insert breakpoints in your handlers (you can also do this ahead of time); continue to the next breakpoint; and press the button of current interest. You can step through the handler code when the breakpoint is reached and the GUI will wait for it to exit. Don't try stepping into any GUI functions unless you are also trying to debug them as a GUI developer.

Previous Topic:Indigo CDT_8_0_2/CDT_8_0_3 wont make target.
Next Topic:Adding library to c++ project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:09:09 GMT 2024