Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » Device information / Device Profile(Using om2m device info model to store devices capabilities ...)
Device information / Device Profile [message #1722853] Tue, 09 February 2016 16:40 Go to next message
Brahim AIT ELHAJ is currently offline Brahim AIT ELHAJFriend
Hello,

I'm currently looking at the om2m specifications and have some questions.

I have a list of reference devices (let's say Philips hue, Nest, Lifx light bulb ...) and i'd like to store them and their capabilities/features in an internal databases.

So, for the Philips hue light bulb, i would have something like :

- Philips Hue
* modelId = XXX, manufacturer = XYZ ...
* device type = 'Light Bulb'
* capabilities = Change Light State, Change Saturation, Change Hue, Change Brightness ...
* For each capability i need to indicate to value or range of value that can be used (ex : hue is value between 0 and 65535)

For each reference device, i'd have an entry in my internal databases.
Also it would be great to have some kind of inheritance between my reference devices ... so my 'Generic Light Bulb' could be a parent of 'Philips Hue' and 'Lifx light bulb' ...

My first question is : is this possible with the om2m model ? i saw the DeviceInfo and DeviceCapabilities xsds ... but it's hard to understand how to use them in practice without any example

My second question is related to the first one : Do you have some examples of How to use om2M model ? I spent almost my entire day looking for real world examples without any success ...

My third and last question is : Does om2M define the concept of 'Device Profile' as what i'm trying to do (ex : Device Profile : 'Generic Light Bulb', Device Profile : 'Philips Hue 1', Device Profile : 'Alarm', Device Profile : 'Great Vendor Alarm' ...). If not directly, what would be the best object to use : Node ?

Thanks in advance for the time you'll take to answer my questions.

Best regards,
Brahim

Re: Device information / Device Profile [message #1723717 is a reply to message #1722853] Wed, 17 February 2016 11:01 Go to previous message
Francois AissaouiFriend
Hello Brahim,

Firstly, before answering your questions, you need to make the difference between oneM2M which is the standard and OM2M, our implementation of the oneM2M standard. So, the data model we propose is not directly linked to our implementation but to the onem2m specifications.

Now regarding DeviceInfo and DeviceCapabilities resources, those resources are used for device management purpose. It means that you need a management protocol to handle your device information and capabilities. They are not to be used for your needs.

In our current implementation, we use oBIX formatting to show a set of information available for devices. It can contain meta-information like the model, the type of the devices and a set of available operations. This information is located under the DESCRIPTOR container of a device.
You can find an example in the IPE sample that is available on git repository.

Of course this representation is not completely interoperable as you have to understand the oBIX formatting. Right now, the oneM2M standard did not yet define how to make the interoperability in terms of data. So this is our "legacy" solution from the older standard smartM2M (ETSI).

However, oneM2M is currently working on data interoperability using semantics. They want to be able to link a set of data to current resources (AE, Container, ...) that will have a set of information.
Also, as we are going to use semantic technologies, it will be easier to define complex scenarios like inheritance of operation in your case. But for that you need to look for the oneM2M working group on semantic.
As this will be part of the standard, we will develop it in OM2M but at first we need to wait for the official release of this feature.

Hope my answer gives you some highlight
François
Previous Topic:FOTA with Lesan & wakamma
Next Topic:Documentation for the new platform version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:11:51 GMT 2024