Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Best way to collaborate in real-time with Eclipse?
Best way to collaborate in real-time with Eclipse? [message #1722569] Fri, 05 February 2016 21:23 Go to next message
Dalton Vega is currently offline Dalton VegaFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: February 2016
Junior Member
My friend and I are going to work on a Java project, and past projects I have worked on have been a pain in terms of keeping code consistent on each of our computers. What I'm looking for is kind of a Google Docs in Eclipse, where all of my edits can be seen in real-time with others working on the project, and vice versa. Through all of my searching I found the DocShare plugin, but there is very little documentation and I wasn't able to get even the ECF part to work. Is there a better alternative? Or could someone help with this plugin?
Re: Best way to collaborate in real-time with Eclipse? [message #1722584 is a reply to message #1722569] Sat, 06 February 2016 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Messages: 30224
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Dalton,

I doubt having a live view of the same moving source code target without
coordinating the coding activities makes sense. After all, the world
if full of teams of people working on a common code bases and yet what
you seek is not the common solution (or even an exceptional one).
Better to use something like Github to maintain your code. That's what
regular developers use...


On 05.02.2016 23:23, Dalton Vega wrote:
> My friend and I are going to work on a Java project, and past projects
> I have worked on have been a pain in terms of keeping code consistent
> on each of our computers. What I'm looking for is kind of a Google
> Docs in Eclipse, where all of my edits can be seen in real-time with
> others working on the project, and vice versa. Through all of my
> searching I found the https://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF/DocShare_Plugin,
> but there is very little documentation and I wasn't able to get even
> the ECF part to work. Is there a better alternative? Or could someone
> help with this plugin?
Re: Best way to collaborate in real-time with Eclipse? [message #1722659 is a reply to message #1722584] Mon, 08 February 2016 06:50 Go to previous message
Lorenz is currently offline LorenzFriend
Messages: 11
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Ed Merks wrote:
>I doubt having a live view of the same moving source code target without
>coordinating the coding activities makes sense. After all, the world
>if full of teams of people working on a common code bases and yet what
>you seek is not the common solution (or even an exceptional one).
>Better to use something like Github to maintain your code. That's what
>regular developers use...
>
>
>On 05.02.2016 23:23, Dalton Vega wrote:
>> My friend and I are going to work on a Java project, and past projects
>> I have worked on have been a pain in terms of keeping code consistent
>> on each of our computers. What I'm looking for is kind of a Google
>> Docs in Eclipse, where all of my edits can be seen in real-time with
>> others working on the project, and vice versa. Through all of my
>> searching I found the https://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF/DocShare_Plugin,
>> but there is very little documentation and I wasn't able to get even
>> the ECF part to work. Is there a better alternative? Or could someone
>> help with this plugin?

what Ed is hinting at (without saying so openly 8-) is to use a
version control system.

There are several (open source or commercial) that provide plugins to
use them from within eclipse.

Git is one of them, with Github an commercial hoster providing free
repository space for public projects.

have a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control for
version control in general and at
http://better-scm.shlomifish.org/comparison/ for an overview and
comparison of several current VCS.
--

Lorenz
Previous Topic:Error
Next Topic:Help: Eclipse won't install due to old JVM?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Jun 25 08:21:16 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03173 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top