Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse IDE for C++ code(Eclipse IDE for C++ code and link to subversion)
Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722257] Wed, 03 February 2016 15:47 Go to next message
Ana Chiacu is currently offline Ana ChiacuFriend
Hi,

I have a C++ program that I need to get under version control. I would like to use an Eclipse IDE with Subversion. Can someone give me some information on how I go about doing that.
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722287 is a reply to message #1722257] Wed, 03 February 2016 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Download The Eclipse for C/C++ package from here: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/
Then use the included tutorials and Help documentation to get started. See also https://eclipse.org/cdt/

Also, note that CDT has it's own dedicated forum; I'm moving this topic to that form for you.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2016 19:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722291 is a reply to message #1722257] Wed, 03 February 2016 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Hi Ana,

Can you clarify if you already have a C++ Project in Eclipse that you want to commit to an existing SVN server?

If not, Eric Rizzo has set you on the correct path.

If you already have project and server, you want to install https://www.eclipse.org/subversive/ and then run through a tutorial/documentation.

Here is one choice
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~cytron/cse132/HelpDocs/Subversive/subversive.htm

PS If you are working as part of a team, I recommend you enquire with the rest of the team to find out their tools of choice on SVN interaction. If you are independent/starting your own project, I recommend learning Git instead Smile

Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722297 is a reply to message #1722291] Wed, 03 February 2016 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I do not have a C++ project in Eclipse. I have one that I would like to put in there.

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722340 is a reply to message #1722297] Thu, 04 February 2016 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Anna,

Great, then Eric's advice is a place to start.

Do you have an Eclipse project, or some other project. The more relevant details you provide, the easier it is to help Smile

e.g. Are you writing the code yourself, or trying to build some open source code. Is this home, school or work?

Jonah
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722392 is a reply to message #1722340] Thu, 04 February 2016 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The code was written for us by an engineer and we use it for our work. We mostly need a place to keep it, but might make some coding changes.
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722393 is a reply to message #1722392] Thu, 04 February 2016 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry if I misunderstand, but is the person who wrote the code no longer available to help you? Do you have SVN server already? Are you familiar with Eclipse, CDT or C++? I am trying to find a baseline to be able to help you from?
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722404 is a reply to message #1722393] Thu, 04 February 2016 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He has provided us with the "final" version of the code that we would now like to store and possible make changes to, if necessary.

We have a Java developer team that uses Eclipse and Subversion and we are getting guidance from them, but the will not be managing our C++ code.

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722405 is a reply to message #1722404] Thu, 04 February 2016 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What form does the ""final" version of the code" take. Is it a CDT project already (have a .project and .cproject), is it a Makefile project (has a Makefile in the root), does it have both, or is it some other build system? How do you build the program? Is it delivered as source or binary that is ready to run (or both)?

Do you have C/C++ experience? What about Eclipse?

As for storing in SVN, just have your Java folks add it to SVN.

PS This sounds like the work was done by a contractor, please make sure that the contractor provides you detailed build instructions. Probably you should have the requirement to be able to build the program in house as acceptance criteria for successful contract completion (but it may be too late for that).
Re: Eclipse IDE for C++ code [message #1722408 is a reply to message #1722405] Thu, 04 February 2016 16:16 Go to previous message
PS I forgot to ask, how is it going following Eric Rizzo suggestion of downloading Eclipse CDT. Has any of that worked for you?
Previous Topic:debugger cant find fortran file on a non-existent fortran instllation
Next Topic:Problems Installing C/C++ IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:34:01 GMT 2024