Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer
[NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720810] Thu, 21 January 2016 08:53 Go to next message
Silvio Kohler is currently offline Silvio KohlerFriend
We have built a Scout NEON application (HTML UI). The Application has tables in forms (TableField).

On all tested environments, the performance of the application is good, despite the rendering of tables when using IE, which is very slow.

In Chrome, the tables load very fast, scrolling is "smooth". Editing of table cells has no latency (when clicking in the cell).
In IE, the table loading is a little slower (still ok), but scrolling is nearly impossible, as well as editing a table cell (10 seconds and more after clicking the cell before a value can be entered).

Test cases:
Opening and scrolling through a...
- Table with only 1 column, 100 rows, cells not editable, no colors, no calculations.
- Table with only 1 column, 1'000 rows, cells not editable, no colors, no calculations.
- Table with 15 columns, 300 rows, cells not editable, no colors, no calculations.
- Table with 15 columns, 300 rows, editable cells, different colors for total rows, calculation of total rows and columns when editing a cell.

Test environments:
1) PC with Intel Core2 Duo 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Win 8.1 (Chrome and IE 11.0.9600)
2) PC with Intel i5/2.7 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 (only IE 11.0.9600 available)
3) PC with Intel i7/3.4 GHz, 8 Cores, 12 GB RAM, Win 7 (Chrome and IE 11.0.9600)

Results:
Using IE 11:
- On environment 1 using IE, scrolling in the table is impossible. When scrolling in the table, CPU usage is on 50% (100% for one Core ?). RAM usage is below maximum.
- Roughly the same result was measured on environment 2 with IE.
- On environment 3 using IE, scrolling is "quite" smooth. Not as smooth as with Chrome, but still ok. CPU usage stays low (only little increase when scrolling, in contrast to the other environments).

Using Chrome:
- On all 3 environments, when using Chrome, the performance is very good (for environment 2, test with Chrome is not possible as no Chrome available, but I guess the performance would also be good).

It seems as if the number of rows in the table has the most influence on performance. A table with 100 rows is still "working" (scrolling is not smooth, but possible). A table with 300 rows cannot be used anymore (on environment 1 and 2 using IE).

My conclusion:
Table rendering of a scout table in Internet Explorer needs a lot of CPU. Thus, using a Scout application on a PC that does not have a very fast CPU is not possible with IE.

Does anyone have the same experience with IE (or a contrary experience, which would mean that something is wrong with my setup)?

Best

Silvio
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720821 is a reply to message #1720810] Thu, 21 January 2016 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
which scout neon milestone are you using?

it seems that some improvements for table scrolling on IE were made just around the date of the M4 milestone. you could try to update on Scout Neon nightly.

alternatively, these changes should be incorporated in the M5 build that will be available on february 5th.
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720823 is a reply to message #1720821] Thu, 21 January 2016 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Dörfliger is currently offline Marco DörfligerFriend
Was there any difference in performance between editable and non-editable tables?
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720826 is a reply to message #1720823] Thu, 21 January 2016 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Matthias: I am still on M3. Will update to M4 and test again.

@Marco: No, there was no significant difference between editable, non editable cells. Maybe a benchmark would have shown differences, but for a simple test with a stopwatch, there is no difference.
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720846 is a reply to message #1720810] Thu, 21 January 2016 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claudio Guglielmo is currently offline Claudio GuglielmoFriend
We implemented virtual scrolling for the table by the end of last year. This means only the rows in the viewport + some more are rendered which drastically reduces the amount of html elements. This was not especially done for IE, other browsers profit from this as well, but it's true that IE has a lot more difficulties with many DIVs than Chrome.
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720873 is a reply to message #1720846] Thu, 21 January 2016 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Claudio

Currently I'm trying to migrate to M4 and nightly to test the performance. With no success so far.

Migration to M4:
- Downloaded an eclipse Neon M4 from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-scout-developers/neonm4a
- Added the m2e connectors
- Imported my existing M3 project
- Changed the imports where necessary.

Problem. There are a lot of classes that do not exist anymore. Example: the shorthand for AbstractSQLService (SQL), AbstractSQLService itself, the @Server annotation, AbstractSqlLookupService.
I couldn't find information about these classes in the Migration Guide (https://tools.bsiag.com/scoutbook/5.2/latest/scout_migration/scout_migration/scout_migration_guide.html).
Do you know what happened to these classes?

Migration to Nightly:
- In my eclipse Neon M4 installation, installed Scout SDK nightly via the udpatesite (http://download.eclipse.org/scout/nightly/)
- Tried to change the maven dependencies to get the RT as well, but: what are the exact values I have to set for...
- org.eclipse.scout.rt_version
- maven_rt_plugin_config-master

Are there any other configurations I need to change?

Thanks

--EDIT

I could now change to SNAPSHOT by setting org.eclipse.scout.rt_version to 5.2.0-SNAPSHOT (hope this is the nightly build).
The Result is the same as with 5.2.0.M4: The SQL supporting class are missing. Namely:
- SQL
- AbstractSqlLookupService
- AbstractSQLService

Regarding the @Server annotation: I just removed it, as the HelloWorldFormService in a newly created project also does not have this annotation anymore. So my guess is that it is not needed anymore. Will test it when above issues are solved.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2016 17:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1720966 is a reply to message #1720873] Fri, 22 January 2016 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judith Gull is currently offline Judith GullFriend
Versions:

5.2.0-SNAPSHOT is currently built nightly.
maven_rt_plugin_config-master: 2.0.3 is the current release, 2.0.4 is the current SNAPSHOT.

Migration:

Please add the following dependency to your server:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.eclipse.scout.rt</groupId>
<artifactId>org.eclipse.scout.rt.server.jdbc</artifactId>
</dependency>

@Server is not needed anymore
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1721151 is a reply to message #1720966] Mon, 25 January 2016 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Judith.

I've also found the new dependency entry for jdbc in the server pom (by comparing the pom files of the contacts app with the pom files of my project). I still don't understand why this entry is needed, as I found it already in the "effective POM" view of the parent pom before adding it to the server pom.

I set the the maven_rt_plugin_config-master to 2.0.3, as in the contacts app. It works so far. Do I need to set it to 2.0.4? What is the difference? What does maven_rt_plugin_config-master mean?

Additional changes I had to do for migration from 5.2.0-M3 to 5.2.0-SNAPSHOT (maybe helps others):

- I had to change the private/public key pair of Server and HTML-Client in the config.properties files. Don't know why, but got a SecurityException before.

- In execLoadSession of ServerSession, I had a method which only worked for "real" users, not for the "system" user. This worked with 5.2.0-M3. My conclusion is that with this version, execLoadSession was not called for "system". With 5.2.0-SNAPSHOT, it is called. Thus I have to care for the system user in this method.

- If <master_sanity_checksSkip>true</master_sanity_checksSkip> is used (I have set it in the parent pom), it will not work anymore. It's renamed to <master_sanityCheck_skip>true</master_sanityCheck_skip>.

- If you have your own CSS files (like colors-[myname].css), it might not work anymore, as the "template" has changed. Copy the

- In the logback.xml and logback-test.xml files, change the class name of LevelRangeFilter to org.eclipse.scout.rt.platform.logger.LevelRangeFilter.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 January 2016 12:30]

Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1721168 is a reply to message #1721151] Mon, 25 January 2016 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Silvio Kohler wrote on Mon, 25 January 2016 10:21
What does maven_rt_plugin_config-master mean?

This is a normal maven project (packaging "pom"), that is used as maven parent...
It configures all the plugins, in order for your build to work.

You are free not to use it, but you need to configure the build by yourself.

See the "pom.xml" file corresponding to the "v2.0.3" version:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/scout/maven-master.git/tree/maven_rt_plugin_config-master/pom.xml?h=v2.0.3
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1721592 is a reply to message #1721168] Thu, 28 January 2016 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We tested scrolling in IE with the new Version of Scout (5.2.0-SNAPSHOT from 21.1.2016).

Scrolling in IE is indeed faster. It is fast enough for testing the functionality of the application. For a productive environment, it is still too slow.

Does anyone else have the same experience (that it is still too slow, also with 5.0.2-SNAPSHOT)?

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2016 14:29]

Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1727523 is a reply to message #1721592] Wed, 23 March 2016 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claudio could find a solution for the performance problems. So if anyone has the same problem, just do the following:

The difference between tables in forms and tables in tablepages that has an effect on performance in IE is the property border-radius of the table.
-> Set the property border-radius of the table to 0.

Short How-to: change a css-property.

1) Create a new CSS-file (i.e. myTable.css) for your project. In this CSS-file, override the property you want to change (here: border-radius). You need to reference the corresponding UI-component by a string set on the UI-component (getConfiguredCssClass).
2) Add myTable.css to your html-Project, in folder src/main/js.
3) Reference myTable.css in index.html. For this:
3.1) Replace the reference to scout-module.css by a reference to a new stylesheet (<scout:stylesheet src="res/myProject-macro.css" />).
3.2) In myProject-macro.css, include scout-module.css (as it is still needed) and myTable.css.

Thanks, Claudio, for this solution.
Re: [NEON] Scrolling/editing tables is very slow in Internet Explorer [message #1727583 is a reply to message #1727523] Thu, 24 March 2016 08:32 Go to previous message
Claudio Guglielmo is currently offline Claudio GuglielmoFriend
I was actually quite surprised that the border radius of the container div affects the scrolling. But it seems to be a real issue and Microsoft is aware of it:
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedbackdetail/view/961961/ie-9-ie-11-divs-with-a-border-radius-and-overflow-other-than-visible-resize-slow-when-filled-with-divs-with-position-relative

Lets hope they will fix it promptly.
Previous Topic:[neon] collapsible group boxes
Next Topic:[neon] Problems with (pre-release) of M6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:36:45 GMT 2024