Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0(Virgo tooling does not allow to deploy servlet 3.0 aplications)
icon9.gif  Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1720451] Mon, 18 January 2016 17:26 Go to next message
Anti Alman is currently offline Anti AlmanFriend
It seems that Virgo tooling does not allow to deploy servlet 3.0 applications even if used with virgo-tomcat-server-3.6.4.RELEASE.

Is there any plans on improving Virgo Tooling or maybe a possible workaround?

I am using Eclipse Mars Mars.1 Release (4.5.1) and Virgo tooling from update site: http://download.eclipse.org/virgo/snapshot/tooling

My host properties:
OSGi Runtime Apache Tomcat/7.0.61 on Eclipse Virgo 3.6.4.RELEASE
Virtual Machine 1.8.0_66 - Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.66-b17 (Oracle Corporation)
Operating System Windows 7 6.1 (amd64)
Re: Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1720570 is a reply to message #1720451] Tue, 19 January 2016 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hi Anti,

could you please elaborate a bit about what you are doing and what is failing? A step by step description of the issue would be very helpful.

GianMaria.
Re: Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1721120 is a reply to message #1720570] Sun, 24 January 2016 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am trying to deploy Vaadin 7 application on Virgo server trough Virgo Tools.

I am using Vaadin Plug-In for Eclipse version 2.3.6 to create the vaadin project (VaadinProject.PNG).

When i try to ron the application on Virgo server, then i get a message "The server does not support version 3.0 of the J2EE Web module specification."

The steps would be
1. Create new Vaadin 7 project (or any project requiring servlet 3.0 should work)
2. Right-click project -> Run as -> run on server -> choose a server created with Virgo tools.

This gives me the impression that while virgo-tomcat-server-3.6.4.RELEASE supports servlet 3.0, then Virgo tools has not been updated accordingly.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 January 2016 20:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1721324 is a reply to message #1721120] Tue, 26 January 2016 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
If I understood correctly, you created a Web project using the Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse and then tried to deploy it to a Virgo server using the Virgo tools.

Unfortunately this use case is not supported.

If you want to develop for Virgo using the Virgo Tools you have to use the Virgo Tools for creating projects and not the Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse.
The Virgo Tools provide a wizard for creating Bundle Projects. The same wizard can also create a Bundle Project that is a Web project. Bundle projects have different characteristics from dynamic Web projects created using the Vaadin plug-in wizard and unluckily Virgo Tools support only Bundle Projects.

To use Vaadin in Virgo you must first create a Bundle Project, then you can add the Vaadin JARs as nested JARs and finally use the MANIFEST.MF editor to list such JARs in the bundle class path.
You'll have to setup the Vaadin servlet in web.xml by yourself but you could start by comparing the sample web.xml created by the Vaadin plug-in.

If I am not mistaken you also opened a bugzilla entry for this problem. If you confirm that the Web project was created with the Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse, then I think that the defect should be closed as invalid.

GianMaria.

Re: Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1721360 is a reply to message #1721324] Tue, 26 January 2016 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You for your assistance! I will try it out tomorrow evening. And if it works then i will close the bugzilla entry also.

I will add one note tho. If i create the same vaadin project for servlet 2.5 (for example setting the target runtime to be virgo server in the new project wizard) then Virgo tools allows to use it on virgo server (there will still be dependency issues to resolve inorder to get it to deploy correctly, but that is another matter). That was the reason i assumed it might be a bug.
Re: Virgo tooling and servlet 3.0 [message #1721634 is a reply to message #1721360] Thu, 28 January 2016 20:04 Go to previous message
Did not get Vaadin to work properly, but Romanato's suggestion did help me over the initial problem.
Previous Topic:Virgo tooling with Mars
Next Topic:Virgo Tools for Eclipse Luna and Mars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:37:30 GMT 2024