Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » EclipseLink read performance issue with MongoDB
EclipseLink read performance issue with MongoDB [message #1719854] Tue, 12 January 2016 15:43 Go to next message
Vincent Reniers is currently offline Vincent ReniersFriend
Hi,

I've been looking at the performance of EclipseLink with a NoSQL DB, more specifically MongoDB.
This is more out of interest to quickly asses the performance of EclipseLink. I've done this using random JPA entityManager reads, on a fully populated database with 1 million records.
When conducting 1 million read operations on this database, or actually any large number of ops (e.g. 100k ops) I've noticed a strange pattern in the distribution of the latency of the read operation. (see below)

Here's an example of my read operation:

public int read(String key) {
	EntityManager em = emf.createEntityManager();

User u = em.find(User.class, key);

if(amountOps++ % clearOps == 0)
		em.clear();

em.close();
}

So the read is very basic, and works just fine.
The EM cache is being cleared after 1.000 ops, but this should not matter too much as the EM is closed after each read.
However lets look at the latency of the read operations in the case of 1 million reads on a database with 1 million records.

[READ], 0, 960693
[READ], 1, 697
[READ], 2, 88
[READ], 3, 497
[READ], 4, 1419
[READ], 5, 3111
[READ], 6, 4061
[READ], 7, 4311
[READ], 8, 4530
[READ], 9, 4439
[READ], 10, 4359
[READ], 11, 4216
[READ], 12, 3530
[READ], 13, 1984
[READ], 14, 714
[READ], 15, 257
[READ], 16, 123
[READ], 17, 93
[READ], 18, 69

What [READ],6 for example means is how many read operations took between 6-7 ms to complete.
So the majority of the reads (960.000) take less then 1 ms to complete on a remote database cluster, which is just fine.
I would expect a decreasing amount of operations in correlation with the latency.
In this case the amount of read operations taking between 1-2 and 2-3ms decreases, but then increases again.
This is behaviour I would normally not expect.
For example there are 4311 reads taking between 7 and 8 ms, while there are only 697 reads taking between 1 and 2 ms.

Furthermore to assess the base performance I've disabled caching.
You can see this in my persistence.xml file listed below:

<persistence-unit name="eclipselink-mongodb" transaction-type="RESOURCE_LOCAL">
	        <class>User</class>
	        <properties>
	            <property name="eclipselink.target-database" value="org.eclipse.persistence.nosql.adapters.mongo.MongoPlatform"/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.nosql.connection-spec" value="org.eclipse.persistence.nosql.adapters.mongo.MongoConnectionSpec"/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.nosql.property.mongo.port" value="27017"/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.nosql.property.mongo.host" value="..."/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.nosql.property.mongo.db" value="eclipselink"/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.logging.level" value="OFF"/>
	            <property name="org.eclipse.persistence.config.CacheUsage" value="DoNotCheckCache" />
	            <property name="eclipselink.cache.shared.default" value="false"/>
	            <property name="eclipselink.cache-usage" value="DoNotCheckCache" />
	            <property name="eclipselink.connection-pool.max" value="1" />
	        </properties>
</persistence-unit>

So in conclusion, the majority of the reads actually happen very fast. But a large fraction (~5%) decide to take a lot longer.
Are there any possible explanations to why this is happening?
Because in my opinion I think EclipseLink is quite fast, but there's just something influencing reads at random times in a consistent manner.

My first idea would that it may be the cache, but I think that can't be the case since it is disabled.
The load on the cluster can also be taken out of the equation, since it's a dedicated setup just to test this.
I've also tested it quickly for another JPA-implementation and it did match my expectations perfectly there.

Any thoughts?
Re: EclipseLink read performance issue with MongoDB [message #1720602 is a reply to message #1719854] Tue, 19 January 2016 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
There are too many variables to really say. This is a remote cluster and anything can happen that might boost the response time by a few milliseconds, but my first inclination would be to look at the network, or to track if it is particular results that are consistently apart of the slow down and if some setting in MongoDB might affect certain queries more then others.
Re: EclipseLink read performance issue with MongoDB [message #1721116 is a reply to message #1720602] Sun, 24 January 2016 15:30 Go to previous message
Vincent Reniers is currently offline Vincent ReniersFriend
Thx for your response.
It turned out to be an issue with the MongoDB cluster.

After wiping the database and restarting the performance test the results were as expected.
Previous Topic:Overriding orm.xml with eclipselink-orm.xml?
Next Topic:Is Eclipse Dynamic Persistence support SINGLE_TABLE Inheritance strategy ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Mar 07 17:27:01 GMT 2021