Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Mars.1 (4.5.1 ) Build id: Z20151207-1411 problems( Several problems arising after Mars.1 update)
Mars.1 (4.5.1 ) Build id: Z20151207-1411 problems [message #1718564] Sun, 27 December 2015 10:32 Go to next message
David VavraFriend
I recently upgraded my system and among the updates was a switch to
Version: Mars.1 (4.5.1) Build id: Z20151207-1411
from an earlier Mars.1 build (I don't know which one).

There were several problems, some which eventually corrected themselves
However, there are a few that I'd like to overcome.

Issue #1: excessive CPU use

There is constant CPU usage. Approx 30-40%. It's worse when Eclipse has focus. Can anybody tell me what it's doing?

EDIT: added this image of top output while Eclipse has focus. As you can see instead of just sitting quietly it's burning almost 100% of the thread time.

index.php/fa/24428/0/

issue #2: colors

I had to import syntax colors from a previous setting. This is OK but seems it should have been unnecessary.

The foreground/background color for many views and dialogs abruptly changed to light gray on white. It used to be white on black. I'd like to change these back to what the previous version had but I can't find any settings to change They are impossible to read.

Here are a couple of examples.

index.php/fa/24426/0/
index.php/fa/24427/0/

Issue #3: Builds, Runs, Debugs

Building takes a long time to actually start. Even for a build that has nothing to do, there is a period of minutes before it starts. I use my own makefile so I don't see any reason for the delay. Nothing appears in the Progress View. After a long delay, the Progress view shows several steps during the build which rapidly disappear. There is a lot of CPU usage during the delay -- approaching 100%.

The delay also happens before a Run or Debug Launch.
The delay is more than annoying. It make Eclipse useless for anything outside of editing.

If these can't be resolved I'd like to revert back to the previous build version but I'm not sure what I would need to do to make this happen.

EDIT

It's occurred to me that I should contact the builders of the update package. The URL given in the description (using DNF under Fedora) is eclipse.org. Are the packages maintained by Eclipse or is there someone else in the path? Does anyone know? It seems this should be a bug report but I don't know where to submit it. Eclipse? Fecora? Does it matter?

• Attachment: PrbView.png
    (Size: 10.78KB, Downloaded 1148 times)
  • Attachment: PrfDialog.png
    (Size: 31.03KB, Downloaded 1187 times)
  • Attachment: TopImage.png
    (Size: 53.10KB, Downloaded 1139 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 27 December 2015 21:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mars.1 (4.5.1 ) Build id: Z20151207-1411 problems [message #1718571 is a reply to message #1718564] Sun, 27 December 2015 13:27 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
FWIW: I reverted to an earlier build
Version: Mars.1 Release (4.5.1)
Build id: 20150924-1200

Part of the upgrade was a change to GCC 5.3.1 while the previous version was 5.1.so I had to run the indexer on all projects but at least I got back to something useful.

Could be the upgrade has a bug or something I had installed had a compatibility issue with the new release.

There are still some issues with the Dark theme in Eclipse but they are nothing compared to what I've just experiences.
If anyone has suggestions about how to fix the above problem I'd like to hear them. I have the new version installed on another machine so debugging is still an option.
Previous Topic:Same dynamic context menu in different parts
Next Topic:java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError when using third party bundle within servletbridge (Equinox within a
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:34:32 GMT 2024