Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Kura » Configuring wifi network
Configuring wifi network [message #1718066] Fri, 18 December 2015 20:41 Go to next message
Nicholas De Meine is currently offline Nicholas De MeineFriend
Hello,
I'm very new with kura and also linux.
I am making a little project trying to setup a kura gateway using a rasp b+, the gateway would be receiving data from wi-fi devices and also should send it through a cloud broker.
I setted up the gateway but when I did it with the network + ui install I lost connectivity, so, how is the best way to do it? where can I find the documentation for network configurations?
How can I set up the gateway as a wi-fi access point for the devices?

Thank you so much for your help
Re: Configuring wifi network [message #1718251 is a reply to message #1718066] Mon, 21 December 2015 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hello,

So you are collecting data over WiFi and sending data to the cloud broker over Ethernet? Or is WiFi your only active interface?

If you are new to Linux, I would recommend using the Kura web UI to configure the network interfaces. By default, Kura will setup the interfaces as:

eth0: DHCP, WAN
wlan0: Static (172.16.1.1), LAN, DHCP Server, AP mode

So, for initially configuring Kura, you will need an Ethernet connection. If you were connected via WiFi when you installed Kura, this is why you lost your connection. Once you have your Ethernet connection, you can access the Web UI and use the Networking tab to configure your wireless interface as needed.

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: Configuring wifi network [message #1718254 is a reply to message #1718251] Mon, 21 December 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicholas De Meine is currently offline Nicholas De MeineFriend
Hello David,
Thank you for your help. Yes, the idea is to use only wi-fi, the devices are capable of connecting to a wireless network so I'd collect data from there and then send it to the broker using the internet connection from the very same network, do you think an ethernet connection to the rasp w/kura is recommended to send the data to the cloud? (it should be able to handle around 400+ devices)

How could be a proper configuration for that scenario using the web UI? (wi-fi only) and what in case I decide to use ethernet to send the data to the broker and wi-fi to receive data from the devices?

Edit;
ok, I setted the eth0 to wan so it sends the data to the broker via ethernet (I guess) and the wlan0 to lan and left it as an access point and I think it's working good so far

[Updated on: Mon, 21 December 2015 21:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Configuring wifi network [message #1718259 is a reply to message #1718254] Mon, 21 December 2015 21:09 Go to previous message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
You mentioned setting up the Raspberry Pi as an Access Point. Do you mean it will be a Wireless Access Point for the sensors? Do you mean it will be connecting to the same wireless network as the other sensors? If the RPi is acting as a Wireless Access Point, you will also need a separate WAN connection to the Internet.

In either case, if you want Kura to assist in setting up the network interfaces, you will either:

1. Use a keyboard and monitor directory with the RPi. With this, you can access the Web UI on the localhost at http://127.0.0.1.
2. Connect to the RPi over Ethernet. If you are on the same network as the RPi, you can enter the IP address of the device in your browser http://<raspberry_pi_ip>. If there is no wired network, you can plug an Ethernet cable directly from your computer to the RPi and have your computer provide the IP address.

If you don't want Kura assisting with the network interfaces, there are installers labeled as 'nn' or 'No Networking'. This will install Kura without networking support. You would have to configure the network/firewall settings yourself from within Linux.

--Dave
Previous Topic:yet another inexplicable UNSATISFIED
Next Topic:Starting demo heater bundle on Raspberry Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:45:41 GMT 2024