Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Just a starting point
Just a starting point [message #1717040] Wed, 09 December 2015 17:31 Go to next message
Mike Whalen is currently offline Mike WhalenFriend
Hello,

I am wanting to investigate an application that was written with Eclipse and SWT many years ago. The program is called AppleCommander and the source is available here.

sourceforge.net/projects/applecommander/files/

I'm not going to lie; I am not a Java programmer and have never touched Eclipse. (I have programmed in a couple of other languages.) However, this application has lain dormant for many years and I'm highly motivated to get it working in a more modern iteration of Java.

(To be clear, the command-line tools work fine. It's the GUI part that doesn't work unless the user installs Java 6 in order to be able to run the 32-bit SWT.)

At the moment, I just want to figure out how to load the source into Eclipse to the point where I can attempt a build and see what breaks.

I'd like to know where I should begin. Should I start at the Eclipse documentation? Suggestions, please.

Cheers,

m
Re: Just a starting point [message #1717089 is a reply to message #1717040] Wed, 09 December 2015 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Check that you have a fresh enough JDK (Oracle/Sun 1.8 recommended) on your system.

Download the Eclipse installer and use it to install Eclipse IDE for Java developers. Make sure that it matches your operating system and bitness (32 or 64).

Start up the Eclipse and use the Help -> Install New software entry to install additional modules (I guess that you'd like Window Builder).

There are good tutorials on Eclipse on http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Just a starting point [message #1717219 is a reply to message #1717040] Thu, 10 December 2015 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Continuation: You may also want information on Eclipse graphical user interface, SWT and maybe Jface. The really heavyweight source is: <http://read.pudn.com/downloads165/ebook/754950/SWT_JFace%20in%20action.pdf>

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Just a starting point [message #1717321 is a reply to message #1717219] Fri, 11 December 2015 16:36 Go to previous message
Mike Whalen is currently offline Mike WhalenFriend
Thank you. That's quite enough to get started. Smile
Previous Topic:Eclipse 4.5.1 under Ubuntu 15.10 and "install New Software"
Next Topic:Adjust tab-space and mouse pointer?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:02:58 GMT 2024