Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EDAPT] Use Edapt with binary resources
[EDAPT] Use Edapt with binary resources [message #1714302] Wed, 11 November 2015 15:35 Go to next message
Thomas Zwickl is currently offline Thomas ZwicklFriend
Hi,

I'm trying to use Edapt with a binary resource but I always get a null pointer back from this function:

String uri = ReleaseUtils.getNamespaceURI(resourceURI);

Does anyone know if it is even possible to use Edapt in combination with binary resources? I've already read some other forum topics where they discussed a similar problem, but they were all from 2009, so I hoped that this problem might have already been resolved in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 November 2015 00:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EDAPT] Use Edapt with binary resources [message #1714399 is a reply to message #1714302] Thu, 12 November 2015 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Faltermeier is currently offline Johannes FaltermeierFriend
Hi Thomas,

ReleaseUtils.getNamespaceURI(resourceURI) will try to parse the file at the given URI with SAX in order to find the NS-URI of the model. This will only work for XML/XMI-Files.
But identifying the NS-URIs should be the only place where Edapt relies on a XMI-serialization as far as I know.

So you would have to introduce a different way of finding out the NS-URI of the model in the binary file. E.g. you could use the file-extension.
With this information you can get a Migrator instance and you should be able to identify the source release from the migrator.

String nsURI = getURIFromBinaryFile();
		final Migrator migrator = MigratorRegistry.getInstance().getMigrator(nsURI);
		final Release release = loopThroughReleasesAndFindReleaseWithNSURI(migrator, nsURI);

Furthermore you have to set a custom IResourceSetFactory on the migrator, which will make sure that Binary-Resources are created.

migrator.setResourceSetFactory(new IResourceSetFactory() {

@Override
			public ResourceSet createResourceSet() {
				ResourceSetImpl resourceSetImpl = new ResourceSetImpl();
				resourceSetImpl.getResourceFactoryRegistry().getExtensionToFactoryMap().put("*",
						new ResourceFactoryImpl() {
					@Override
					public Resource createResource(URI uri) {
						return new BinaryResourceImpl(uri);
					}
				});
				return resourceSetImpl;
			}
		});

I am not 100% sure that there are no other problems, but I think that this should work.
Could you share your experiences, if you are giving this a try?

Thanks and regards
Johannes

Johannes Faltermeier

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/

[Updated on: Thu, 12 November 2015 12:10]

Re: [EDAPT] Use Edapt with binary resources [message #1714403 is a reply to message #1714399] Thu, 12 November 2015 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Johannes,

thanks for the detailed explanation I've already thought that this will be the case after looking through the code, but I thought maybe I just missed something.
I've already a general idea of how I'm going to implement this, I will give it a try and report back as soon as I've found out more.

Best regards,
Thomas

[Updated on: Thu, 12 November 2015 12:51]

Re: [EDAPT] Use Edapt with binary resources [message #1716566 is a reply to message #1714403] Fri, 04 December 2015 20:37 Go to previous message
Hi Johannes,

I finally had some time to deal with this problem and so far it actually seems to work. I've created a ZIP-File for all the resource files and added the namespace URI as a comment to each respective ZIP entry.
Through this I can now unzip the resource files before loading and extract the namespace URI which is required for identifying the model version from the ZIP archive. I have chosen to use a ZIP archive because it is easier for the user to handle. In this way the file name stays the same and we don't have a second file which needs always to be copied as well.

The rest worked like a charm. Thanks for the support.

Best regards,
Thomas
Previous Topic:org.eclipse.emf.edapt.history.reconstruction.EcoreForwardReconstructor$EcoreReconstructorSwitch 124
Next Topic:[Edapt] is bidirectional migration possible/planned/feasible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 04:07:11 GMT 2017