Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » ASM in eclipse(resources for in-line ASM for eclipse, getting started )
ASM in eclipse [message #1712752] Wed, 28 October 2015 00:33 Go to next message
John Gray is currently offline John GrayFriend
If I am in the wrong place, please excuse me, hopefully you will direct me where to.

I tested an inline ASM snippet on eclipse recently and to my surprise it worked. I'd like to know what the capabilities of ASM in eclipse are: practically speaking it seemed that the compiler only liked the AT&T language. Can the ASM do other language variations? I need the most versatile. Where can I get beginners resources to eclipse + ASM ? I am currently immersed in c++ but also want to learn this as well. I am all googled out. Need some advice here. I've seen plenty of tutorials and either the4y don't work for whatever reason or the language is not recognizable to me (1 of the severl others besides AT&T).
I want to stick with the eclipse ide. Also does c ++11 need to be started as well.

I am not asking a huge question here but simply how to get a foothold from somebody who may be experienced.

Thanks in advance.

JG

[Updated on: Wed, 28 October 2015 00:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ASM in eclipse [message #1712784 is a reply to message #1712752] Wed, 28 October 2015 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
You do not provide details, so let's guess that you're using the GNU compiler toolset.

Eclipse does not provide a compiler, it is just a front-end to the real translator suite. The GNU assembler (as) uses the AT&T style syntax by default. For details, get the manual from <http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.en.html>.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: ASM in eclipse [message #1712844 is a reply to message #1712784] Wed, 28 October 2015 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Gray is currently offline John GrayFriend
Thank you for your time.I am using 64bit windows system, mingw GCC, Eclipse and c++. I am not specifically looking for 64 bit at the moment, but put that on my wish list. Ideally I want to use inline ASM with c++. Call it a glutton for punishment.

I've followed the link and looking through it I am not finding what I need (I may not be looking in the right place or file).

Thanks in advance
Re: ASM in eclipse [message #1712860 is a reply to message #1712844] Wed, 28 October 2015 20:48 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
The assembler (as) manual can be found following the link.

The embedded assembler is handled in the GCC manual. Pick the one matching your version from the GNU pages.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:C++11 in Eclipse Mars.1
Next Topic:Windows Core Audio API and CDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:52:26 GMT 2024