Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » [EWL] Question about performance of wizard integration
[EWL] Question about performance of wizard integration [message #1712702] Tue, 27 October 2015 14:38 Go to next message
Rene Meis is currently offline Rene MeisFriend
Hi all,

I heavily use EWL wizards. For my current tool, I have one plugin that adds one ewl file to the extension point with 10 wizards and one plugin that adds 7 ewl files to the extension point with in total 12 wizards. Unfortunately, it takes around 8 seconds until the list of wizards applicable for the selected model element shows up in the context menu Wizards.

My question is: How can I reduce the time until the wizards show up?

From my technical understanding, 1) the model(s) on which the wizards shall be applied have to be loaded, and 2) the guard and title expressions of the wizards have to be evaluated before the wizards can be shown in the context menu.

Concerning point 1), I am not sure whether it is a good idea to provide multiple plug-ins that provide wizards and that one plugin introduces several ewl files. Is the model loaded for each of the wizard files, for each of the plugins, or is the model loaded once and used for all of them?

Concerning point 2), I already introduced @cached operations two avoid that the same expressions are evaluated multiple times when these are used by different guards. Do you have further ideas how I can increase the performance by the design of the wizards?

Thank you in advance,
Rene
Re: [EWL] Question about performance of wizard integration [message #1712836 is a reply to message #1712702] Wed, 28 October 2015 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Rene,

Regarding your first point, all wizards share the same model instance, so this shouldn't affect performance too much. Is there any chance you could share a copy of your wizards so that I can advise on possible ways to speed up the execution of guards?

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: [EWL] Question about performance of wizard integration [message #1713346 is a reply to message #1712836] Tue, 03 November 2015 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rene Meis is currently offline Rene MeisFriend
Hi Dimitris,

thank you for your swift reply. I'm glad to hear that all wizards share the same model instance.

I now use a "two-level approach", where I have only one or two wizards for each plugin. The guards of the wizards only check whether the needed profiles are applied to the model. If a wizard is selected, then depending on the model element that was selected a System.user.choose prompt is shown to select the operation to be performed. Now it "only" takes around 4 seconds until the Wizards context menu opens.

Best regards,
Rene
Re: [EWL] Question about performance of wizard integration [message #1713358 is a reply to message #1713346] Tue, 03 November 2015 14:48 Go to previous message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Rene,

Thanks for sharing your workaround! 4 seconds still sounds a lot so I'd be happy to help investigate the bottleneck if you could share some of your code.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Previous Topic:[ETL] Class Cast Exception
Next Topic:Error with custom plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:39:40 GMT 2024