Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Diagram canvas on top of diagram canvas?
Diagram canvas on top of diagram canvas? [message #1711181] Tue, 13 October 2015 21:24 Go to next message
Rafal Filipiuk is currently offline Rafal FilipiukFriend
Hi,

I'm thinking of a feature where users would be able to create a box that represents a blank canvas. The need for this stems from the fact that I need to model "scope" in some way or another, and scopes can be nested.

For example, my business resource might look like the following:

{
val X = "123";
val Y = "456;
}

That would resolve to a diagram with 2 boxes 'X' and 'Y'. Now if I have the following:

{
val X = "123";
{
val y = "456";
}
}

The above should be represented as a diagram with box 'X', and another unlabeled box with its own canvas that contains box 'Y'. Using the same graphical editor, the user would be able to populate both canvas's depending on current context.

In practice, levels of nesting could go 3-4 levels deep. From a UX perspective, obviously these canvas's would have some scaling issues, but should be relatively useable when resized.

Is what I'm thinking at all possible? I was looking into drill-down behavior, but I'm not a fan of popups and if I understand correctly, drill-down behavior opens a separate instance of a diagram governed by a diagram editor. I also feel like I've seen this type of use case in GEF, but I haven't done enough research in this space.

Any ideas for what direction I could take would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Re: Diagram canvas on top of diagram canvas? [message #1711353 is a reply to message #1711181] Thu, 15 October 2015 09:12 Go to previous message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Rafal,

Graphiti does not support to place diagrams within diagrams. However you might think about visualizing a box on the higher level that is just a placeholder (maybe add some details like nodes and connections inside) and on double clicking that box navigate to another diagram editor showing the detailed diagram of the lower level. This is some kind of drill down Graphiti supports, the tutorial show an example of assingning an EClass to a diagram, and enabling the navigation from another diagram showing that EClass to the assigned diagram. That would also solve the scaling issues in the embedded diagrams.

HTH,
Michael

Previous Topic:My ImageProvider is registered too late for my toolbar action
Next Topic:Undo and Redo options with AddFeature
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:21:57 GMT 2024