Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » POJO DS Properties Panel isn't Eclipse Classpath aware(Pojo Jars need to be added in POJO Ds Prop either with abs / rel Path)
POJO DS Properties Panel isn't Eclipse Classpath aware [message #1708219] Mon, 14 September 2015 17:01 Go to next message
Christoph Henrici is currently offline Christoph HenriciFriend
Pojo Jars need to be added in the POJO Datasource Properties of the Eclipse Report Designer either with a relative or and absolute Path of the Filesystem.

From my experience i find this quite restrictive, especially since the Report Designer being a Eclipse Plugin. Ideally one would be able to chose jars from the current Eclipse Classpath, this would also eliminate the necessity to distinguish between Run- and Designtime Classpaths, when one is using for instance using Maven to manage Dependencies.

It forces the developer to either include jars in the Birt report jar or to define a central directory accessible at design time and / or at runtime, to all developers and / or runtime installations. Both approaches basically break "Depencency" Management as known with Maven , IVY etc.

Is there anyway to workaround this directory / file based approach? A way to re-conciliate with for example with Maven Dependency Management. Maybe for instance with a Spring like ResourceLoader, which be used / configured, when the <oda-data-source ... </oda-data-source> is resolved? .
What are possible approaches to customize the behaviour of resolving the Pojo Jars at Design Time and / or Runtime?

Or is this non issue?

Best thanks for any helpful hints, insights or feedback
Christoph

Re: POJO DS Properties Panel isn't Eclipse Classpath aware [message #1708549 is a reply to message #1708219] Thu, 17 September 2015 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Henrici is currently offline Christoph HenriciFriend
What i found out: Birt Runtime doesn't need the jars specified b the POJOS Datasource Properties Panl to work. What seems to happen: Birt copies these Design time properties and get's rid of the directory path prefixes and looks for the jars depending on the ResourceConfig Path, which is in our case "." = the current Work Directory. When Birt doesn't find the jars , it falls back to the normal Java Classloader.... which is exactly what we want.

So far, so good. But we really could do without the warning exception from the Birt Classloader.......

There is the option in the POJO Data Source Panel to synchronize the Properties for Runtime- & Designtime, see below
Now if we deselect this Option and leave the Runtime Properties empty, we get rid of the Classloader Warning Exceptions, since the options doesn't contain any jars = is empty.

But still we get a:

INFO o.e.birt.data.oda.pojo.impl.Query - URLs from data set class path: [[]]

In the log..... ok understood, since the Array with the jars is empty.

To avoid this i added to our sl4j configuration:

<logger name="org.eclipse.birt.data.oda.pojo.impl" level="warning"
additivity="false"> </logger>

So i don't get the INFO log.

The disadvantage of this approach is that we can't "Test Connection" , because the Birt tells us that we need Runtime Properties ..... which is not really true.

Well it boils down to two requirements from my point of view:

For Designtime it would be great if the Birt Reportdesigner would rely on the Eclipse Classpath Mechanism and allow selection of Jars or dependencies from what is found there.

For Runtime the Classpath resolving shouldn't be a special case. The organisation of the Classpath should simply rely on standard Java mechanisms.

Re: POJO DS Properties Panel isn't Eclipse Classpath aware [message #1799596 is a reply to message #1708219] Mon, 10 December 2018 19:02 Go to previous message
sarayu br is currently offline sarayu brFriend
Hi All,

I am facing a similar issue. BIRT is unable to pick the relative path provided in "pojodatasetclasspath" property of .rptdesign file.
It works with only absolute path.
Is there any way to make it work with relative path by picking the jars dynamically at runtime ?
Thanks in advance!
Previous Topic:IBM Optim Connect JDBC for BIRT
Next Topic:Setting relative classpath for BIRT POJO Datasource in rptdesignfile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:54:49 GMT 2024