Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cross GCC command
Cross GCC command [message #1706405] Wed, 26 August 2015 16:20 Go to next message
Nicolai Lindskov is currently offline Nicolai LindskovFriend
Hello!

I've run into what I think is a minor problem, that I'm unsure how to solve.

I am trying to get Eclipse up and running for programming in C. I've installed MinGW and Msys as per the instructions given here:

max.berger.name/howto/cdt/ar01s03.html

I've made the checks the above guide recommends (as can be seen in the cmd window in the attached screenshot). I've also set up my Path as can also be seen.

Now, my problem is that Eclipse asks me to point to configure a cross gcc path and prefix, when I try and start a new C project. The dialogue opens up asking for a project name. I enter one such and click next. It's then listing some configurations (Debug and Release). When clicking next I am then asked to configure the abovementioned cross gcc path and prefix.

My problem is: I'm a novice programmer. I've never set up and IDE that doesn't include the compiler in the install (ie. visual studio, matlab, vba etc.), and I have absolutely no idea what a cross compiler is!

I have an inkling that I have to point it towards MinGW, but in setting the Path environment I was under the impression that it should pick this up automatically.

So here I am after 3-4 nights of googling and I hope you can tell me which direction to point Eclipse so I can get started with C Smile

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I used the .zip download/unpack instead of the Eclipse-installer, since Eclipse wouldn't recognize JRE if I used the installer.

/Nic'
Re: Cross GCC command [message #1706429 is a reply to message #1706405] Wed, 26 August 2015 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 08/26/2015 11:27 AM, Nicolai Lindskov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've run into what I think is a minor problem, that I'm unsure how to solve.
>
> I am trying to get Eclipse up and running for programming in C. I've installed MinGW and Msys as per the instructions given here:
>
> max.berger.name/howto/cdt/ar01s03.html
>
> I've made the checks the above guide recommends (as can be seen in the cmd window in the attached screenshot). I've also set up my Path as can also be seen.
>
> Now, my problem is that Eclipse asks me to point to configure a cross gcc path and prefix, when I try and start a new C project. The dialogue opens up asking for a project name. I enter one such and click next. It's then listing some configurations (Debug and Release). When clicking next I am then asked to configure the abovementioned cross gcc path and prefix.
>
> My problem is: I'm a novice programmer. I've never set up and IDE that doesn't include the compiler in the install (ie. visual studio, matlab, vba etc.), and I have absolutely no idea what a cross compiler is!
>
> I have an inkling that I have to point it towards MinGW, but in setting the Path environment I was under the impression that it should pick this up automatically.
>
> So here I am after 3-4 nights of googling and I hope you can tell me which direction to point Eclipse so I can get started with C :)
>
> I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I used the .zip download/unpack instead of the Eclipse-installer, since Eclipse wouldn't recognize JRE if I used the installer.
>
> /Nic'
>

Nicolai,

There's a separate Eclipse CDT forum.
Re: Cross GCC command [message #1706431 is a reply to message #1706429] Wed, 26 August 2015 19:27 Go to previous message
Nicolai Lindskov is currently offline Nicolai LindskovFriend
Russell Bateman wrote on Wed, 26 August 2015 19:05

Nicolai,

There's a separate Eclipse CDT forum.

True, I read the sticky about C/C++ questions perhaps getting a better response in that forum unless it fell within "general eclipse usage".

I have absolutely no idea what a cross compiler is though, so if you're telling me it's a C/C++ specific problem and doesn't relate to general usage of eclipse, then I will try the CDT forum instead.
Previous Topic:how to make .cpp file executable for other computers
Next Topic:Compile a C program for STM32 ARM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:06:16 GMT 2024