Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor(XText use graphical editor for writing code )
Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706323] Tue, 25 August 2015 17:54 Go to next message
Abhishek Chakraborty is currently offline Abhishek ChakrabortyFriend

Hi All,

I have this requirement .
I have a language XDC which we have extended from 'C'. At present we are using intermediate CLang parser to generate a xml from the XDC file and then use the xml to create another EMF model for Graphiti Diagram. Very ugly I know.

Can XText solve this ?
I can write the grammer in xtext and then use the generated editor to write my XDC file , using the in memory EMF model i can create the Graphiti editor and that will help me keep both diagram and XDC file in sync.

Kindly suggest if this is possible and any open source projects which I can refer .

Regards,
Abhishek Chakraborty
Re: Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706330 is a reply to message #1706323] Tue, 25 August 2015 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Oehme is currently offline Stefan OehmeFriend

Hi Abhishek,

in principle it is possible to sync Xtext and a graphical editor. But these solutions often have bad usability because of the mismatch between textual and graphical editing. My colleague Jan Koehnlein gave a whole talk on this topic at XtextCon

If a graphical view is enough, then you can build a nice solution very quickly, e.g. with the Kieler lightweight diagram framework.

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706344 is a reply to message #1706330] Wed, 26 August 2015 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Stefan,

I have seen the presentation by Jan koehnlein
http://www.slideshare.net/schwurbel/graphical-views-for-xtext
& http://www.slideshare.net/schwurbel/combining-text-and-graphics-in-eclipsebased-modeling-tools

Also about one of the framework that he himself designed FXDiagram.

The Kieler framework doesn't suffice my need as I want editing capability for both the Text based Editor and Graphical Editor. I will dig deep in to Jan's framework to see if that can help me out .

Thanks ,
Abhishek

Re: Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706361 is a reply to message #1706323] Wed, 26 August 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Not related to Xtext, but you may have a look at the mbeddr project. They have built also C extensions, but with MPS.

Need professional support for Xtext, EMF, Eclipse IDE?
Go to: http://devhub.karakun.com
Twitter : @kthoms
Blog : www.karsten-thoms.de
Re: Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706379 is a reply to message #1706361] Wed, 26 August 2015 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Oehme is currently offline Stefan OehmeFriend

Hi Abhishek,

FxDiagram is only about graphical representation, not graphical editing.

If editing is necessary, you could have a look at projects like eTrice or a prototype one of my colleagues did.

Cheers,
Stefan
Re: Xtext for Extended C language with Graphiti Editor [message #1706801 is a reply to message #1706379] Mon, 31 August 2015 09:08 Go to previous message

Thanks Stefan, eTrice looks promising to me as this is exactly I was looking for.

Regards,
Abhishek Chakraborty
Previous Topic:Accessing text file resource using Xtend
Next Topic:Validation of non-null enum rule
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:15:27 GMT 2024