Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » EnOcean Binding
EnOcean Binding [message #1703566] Mon, 03 August 2015 07:53 Go to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Since the EnOcean OSGi base driver reference implementation is part of Eclipse SmartHome, it would also make a lot of sense to have an EnOcean binding available on top of this. In this thread, I would like to bring the people who are interested in looking into this together (like e.g. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/openhab2/57f54f84-bad9-4354-9891-d79be0aafd59%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer).
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1703568 is a reply to message #1703566] Mon, 03 August 2015 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Goldschmidt is currently offline Thomas GoldschmidtFriend
As mentioned in the openhab2 google group I would be willing to contribute here.
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1704976 is a reply to message #1703568] Tue, 11 August 2015 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas Lingois is currently offline Nicolas LingoisFriend
Hi there,
I'm currently developping an EnOcean binding for Orange compagny. It's more an example to illustrate a command (plug ON/OFF) and eventing (smoke detector) than covering the whole EnOcean specification. We'll release the code on the ESH github once i finished these examples. The base driver impl is already on the github.
In which way you want to contribute on that matter ?

Regards,
Nicolas
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1705135 is a reply to message #1704976] Wed, 12 August 2015 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Goldschmidt is currently offline Thomas GoldschmidtFriend
Dear Nicolas,

>In which way you want to contribute on that matter ?

- First of all, the easiest thing I can do is help you in testing the binding ti identify bugs etc.
- Second I could also provide feedback to the architecture of the binding and discuss things you want to have some second opinion on.
- Finally, I could also help in some development tasks if you like. Be it implementation of additional device profiles or anything you see that is not in the core of your work (which you probably can do more efficiently).

I already played around a bit with the current implementation of the base driver and implemented (just for fun) a small binding on top of it. I already have some questions regarding some design decisions that I would like to see how you solved them in your implementation.

Cheers,
Thomas
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1706245 is a reply to message #1705135] Tue, 25 August 2015 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oliver Fischer is currently offline Oliver FischerFriend
Hello together,

as a system integrator we were looking for a good EnOcean/IP Gateway and there were only "tunnel" gateways, which transport the EnOcean stack over IP but leave the complexity to the one who wants to use it. Basically the well known USB stick over IP. So we started about two years ago in developing a Smart IP Gateway for EnOcean with a REST/JSON Interface. We are currently approaching market release and support already the most used profiles together with functions like Smart Ack and UTE. Functions like Remote Management or Remote Commissioning will be integrated soon.

EnOcean has a complex protocol and the representation of all the existing EEPs and their functions is not the easiest part. Wink Looking around, there are a lot of "started" implementations or bindings out there but none of them is really finished. Things get worse when new features like security or remote commissioning are coming up the roadmap, which will then have to be implemented over again by everybody.
We believe that there should be an abstraction layer when connecting EnOcean to the IP world, the IoT at the end. We are currently working close together with other EnOcean Alliance partners to define such a standard for EnOcean.

Right now (a week ago), we started developing a binding for Eclipse SmartHome based on the REST Interface. The goal is to get a full integration of EnOcean into OpenHab2

The website for the Gateway is www.enocean-gateway.eu where there is some information about the product.
We have also the EnOcean JSON API online (www.enocean-gateway.eu/index.php/en/api-uk-uk), if you want to look at it and play around. Remarks welcome.

The range of working together we are looking for could be from simple exchange of information/Know-how up to working on the binding together. We could provide you also with a Gateway to work with. In any case, feel free to contact me.

As soon as we have something worth contributing, we will open a project on git.

Thank you,

Oliver Fischer
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1707220 is a reply to message #1706245] Thu, 03 September 2015 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Rathgeb is currently offline Markus RathgebFriend

If an EnOcean binding is part of Eclipse SmartHome and so licensed by the EPL, the SOFTWARE is free to use also for commercial products.
What are the impacts for the EnOcean Alliance at all?
At which time in "bring a product to market" I have to be a member of the EnOcean Alliance?
If I sell hardware that contains the TCM?

Can I offer a commercial product that contains the binding and all the software to be able to communicate with EnOcean devices but without a EnOcean hardware?
So a consumer could buy a USB Stick themselves, plug it into and all is working.

Which EEPs are allowed to implement under the EPL?
Could someone say, that I must not decode some bits and bytes because a document contains a watermark?

Before further development of a binding (with the target to bring it into a Eclipse project) I would like to have some information about the license impacts, the EnOcean Alliance and so on.
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1707351 is a reply to message #1707220] Thu, 03 September 2015 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
IANAL, but all low-level communication (ESP) that has already been contributed with the OSGi EnOcean base driver is fine under the EPL.
What I have heard so far is that the critical part are the EEPs as they are regarded as the IP of the EnOcean Alliance and only made available to their members (for commercial use).
So I would assume that an ESH binding would need to be designed in a modular fashion, where support for different EEPs can be "plugged in" and these modules might then not be part of ESH (but potentially of openHAB 2 under EPL but with an additional disclaimer regarding commercial use - similar to how this is done for openHAB 1 today.)
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1707383 is a reply to message #1707351] Fri, 04 September 2015 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andre Bottaro is currently offline Andre BottaroFriend
With the discussions I had with EnOcean representatives, I understood that:
- As soon as a product manufacturer has a complete product that works with a standard EnOcean device (i.e. using a standard EnOcean Equipment Profile above EnOcean radio communication) then he must be a member.
- If only the EnOcean OSGi Base Driver is installed on your product (without any implemented standard EEP) then the product may remain licence-free.
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1709019 is a reply to message #1707383] Wed, 23 September 2015 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oliver Fischer is currently offline Oliver FischerFriend
Hello together,

sorry for being away a little bit but September was a busy month so far... Wink

Well, indeed it is a tricky point with the EEPs and the Intellectual Property of the EnOcean Alliance. So, i would try to clarify a little bit the discussion.

It is true, that the EnOcean Alliance considers the EEPs as its Intellectual Property and thus, any company that makes a software product that uses the EEPs (as well as any manufacturer of EnOcean Hardware Devices) must be member of the EnOcean Alliance.
This makes a full integration from the bottom up (starting with the EnOcean Serial Protocol from the chip) as an open source stack nearly impossible.

Further on, it is not only the EEPs which need to be integrated in the stack but also the functionality of the more complex EnOcean functions as UTE (Universal Teach-in), Smart-Ack (Smart Acknowledgement technology for energy harvesting devices that "sleep" most of their time), ReMan (Remote Management) and ReCom (Remote Commissioning), Generic Profiles and of course Security on the Radio side.......

The EnOcean Alliance is on the other side aware of this and at the moment, there is an ongoing task-group which is defining an "IP-Representation of all the EEPs" in a RESTful, JSON description (together with the core transport layer) which will then be standardized by the Alliance (no Intellectual Property here).
So, a binding in ESH could be written against this IP-Representation without violating any intellectual property-Rights and can so be part of the ESH. Any willing member of the EnOcean Alliance is then able to write (in closed source) the interface part that produces the defined IP-Output which then would fit to that binding.

As we understand it, this way seems for all parties the best solution so that no one is losing any Intellectual Property.

I hope this helps a little bit - comments welcome.

Oliver
Re: EnOcean Binding [message #1739287 is a reply to message #1709019] Fri, 29 July 2016 11:29 Go to previous message
Joachim Hansen is currently offline Joachim HansenFriend
Hi Oliver

Do you have anny news/progress with the EnOcean IP-Representation? I would love to see EnOcean capability in my favorite home automation program but as long as a memberhip in EnOcean Alliance is required this will not happen do to the cost.

Joachim
Previous Topic:Fuzzy logic rule engine
Next Topic:New (static) channels are not shown/added for things already existing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:03:40 GMT 2024