Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF 4 Development Environment - Java8 + API Baseline(How to setup GEF4 development environment with Java8 and API Baseline)
GEF 4 Development Environment - Java8 + API Baseline [message #1701626] Tue, 14 July 2015 13:56 Go to next message
Patrik Suzzi is currently offline Patrik SuzziFriend
Hallo,

Recently I set up multiple times the development environment for GEF 4, and I had the following problem with the e(fx)clipse tooling :
You are not running your eclipse instance with Java8. The JavaFX tooling is disabled because of this

I discovered the issue only after launching my instance of eclipse + e(fx)clipse for GEF 4 development, on a PC with Java 7 only.

So, I checked the documentation, and I found the following:

• GEF 4 requires JavaFX - so e(fx)clipse is needed.
  • In the GEF 4 - How to contribute - page is mentioned we can either use Java7 or java8
  • In the the e(fx)clipse wiki I can read that e(fx)clipse can work only with Java8 - see https://wiki.eclipse.org/Efxclipse

At that point I realized there is a possible issue that lies between Java Version, e(fx)clipse and GEF4 Environment setup.

These are the steps to reproduce the error:

• get a PC with Java7 only installed (in my case: Java 7u51)
  • download Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers (in my case: eclipse-committers-mars-R-win32)
  • install e(fx)clipse 2.0.0 as specified in GEF4 Contributors guilde (in my case I installed plugins from this file: eclipseGef4Tools-test-tools.p2f )

Then, at first startup, I saw the error - see the image below:

http://www.asegno.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/javafx-problem-without-java8.png

Then I have three questions:

1. Is this because I did not configure properly my Java 7 environment in Eclipse preferences?
  2. (if not 1) is this because I am using the wrong version of e(fx)clipse for development of GEF4 ?
    [ currently I am using e(fx)clipse version='2.0.0.201506111511' from http://download.eclipse.org/releases/mars ]
  3. (if not 1 or 2) : should we update the GEF 4 contributor's guide by stating that it is required Java 1.8 ?

Kind Regards.
Patrik

[Updated on: Wed, 15 July 2015 23:16] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF 4 Development Environment [message #1701632 is a reply to message #1701626] Tue, 14 July 2015 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
Indeed the 2.0.0 e(fx)clipse tooling requires Java 1.8. It does not hold for the target or runtime environment. We could add a note to the contributor guide w.r.t. this.
Re: GEF 4 Development Environment [message #1701684 is a reply to message #1701632] Wed, 15 July 2015 00:06 Go to previous message
Patrik Suzzi is currently offline Patrik SuzziFriend
Thanks ! this is perfect - I am taking notes. I will add a bug for this.

I see another thing that is not completely clear to me: the API Baseline for GEF4.

I see the GEF (proper) documentation it is pretty clear about API Baseline:
"GEF (proper) uses PDE API tooling (..) so without definition of an API baseline you will see compile problems (..) . API-baselines are provided by the org.eclipse.gef.baseline project."

What about API Baselines for GEF4 ?
I do not see a project named org.eclipse.gef4.baseline.
So I wonder whether we have to use the same API-baseline as GEF (proper) or to Just Ignore/Warn for Missing API Baseline.

Regards.
Previous Topic:How to build a simple Editor with GEF 4 MVC
Next Topic:GEF4 - Setup API Baselines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:36:46 GMT 2024