Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Platform UI contributions - generics warnings?
Platform UI contributions - generics warnings? [message #1700994] Wed, 08 July 2015 14:33 Go to next message
Bruno Medeiros is currently offline Bruno MedeirosFriend
Hi. I'm looking to get my hands into making contributions into Platform UI. I've followed the steps described here https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/How_to_Contribute

One question though. That document states:
"It is considered good practice to write code that does not have warnings. If possible, fix warnings existing whenever you see them. "

The platform UI code is full of generics-related warnings though. Does that mean it's ok to fix them? Or rather is it a case that the project-specific Java compiler settings are not up to date?
Re: Platform UI contributions - generics warnings? [message #1700995 is a reply to message #1700994] Wed, 08 July 2015 14:41 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
An approach that seems to work is to first submit a patch to gerrit that does with generification but with no logical changes. Then do any logical changes as a separate follow-on patch. So a sequence of two commits.

Beware that generification can become a chase down a rabbit hole!

Brian.
Previous Topic:Lines of Code history explanation
Next Topic:Software Ecosystem Practices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:26:57 GMT 2024