Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » "clean" and "all" targets build different build configurations(Clean uses active configs, but all/build uses referenced configs)
"clean" and "all" targets build different build configurations [message #1700497] Fri, 03 July 2015 03:24 Go to next message
Greg Breen is currently offline Greg BreenFriend
Hypothetical: 2 library projects, one executable project, all with Debug and Release build configurations. Debug build config is active on the libraries, but the exe has the Release config set to active:

libA

Debug (Active)
    Release

libB

Debug (Active)
    Release

exe

Debug
    Release (Active)

exe (Debug)->Properties->C/C++ Build->References has libA (Debug) and libB (Debug) selected.
exe (Release)->Properties->C/C++ Build->References has libA (Release) and libB (Release) selected.

exe "Build Project" builds:

libA (Release)
    libB (Release)
    exe (Release)

exe "Clean Project" cleans:

libA (Debug)
    libB (Debug)
    exe (Release)

So build (make all) builds the referenced build configurations, but clean (make clean) cleans the active build configurations. Why do they act on different build configurations? AFAIK, CDT has been like this for a long time. I just have never understood how/why it could be correct or desired behaviour.
Re: "clean" and "all" targets build different build configurations [message #1712729 is a reply to message #1700497] Tue, 27 October 2015 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeffrey Holtz is currently offline Jeffrey HoltzFriend
Was there a solution for this? I'm seeing this under CDT 8.8 and w Mars as well
Re: "clean" and "all" targets build different build configurations [message #1712753 is a reply to message #1712729] Wed, 28 October 2015 01:02 Go to previous message
Greg Breen is currently offline Greg BreenFriend
No solution that I'm aware of. And yes, same behaviour in Mars.

I am using makefile projects now, and clean is cleaning all build configurations. So it doesn't matter what build configuration is active or referenced, if I clean, I clean everything. A workaround of sorts.
Previous Topic:shared memory in windows as unix style file
Next Topic:can't resolve typedef enum symbol
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:24:46 GMT 2024