Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Generate BIRT design from HTML page(Is it possible?)
Generate BIRT design from HTML page [message #1700381] Thu, 02 July 2015 09:41 Go to next message
Michael Longo is currently offline Michael LongoFriend
Hello,

I'm working on a project that use Birt to generate HTML reports. However, until now those reports were pretty simple and ugly so we wanted to refactor them into something more convenient for us and for the client.

So, I made a mockup HTML in order to agree on what we wanted, and then I created a pseudo-html-template from it.
However, now that I want to use Birt to generate it, I can't find a way to create a design from my HTML file. And the thing is that the report is pretty complex to reproduce using Birt's editor (I'd even say impossible to reproduce as is).

So there is my question: is it possible to create a Birt's template from HTML? Or even better to use directly an HTML file with <value-of> tags (and foreach) as template?

My question seems pretty trivial, but I just can't find an answer on the web/forum (but maybe I'm just not looking for the good thing).

Also, do you think I should persue with Birt? Or should I use something like FreeMarker?

Thanks.
Michael.

Ps: If you want an example of the report I'm talking about, it would look to something like that: stuff.stooit.com/d/1/559505733459d/singletest-template2.html
Re: Generate BIRT design from HTML page [message #1704026 is a reply to message #1700381] Thu, 06 August 2015 19:48 Go to previous message
Jesse Freeman is currently offline Jesse FreemanFriend
A BIRT report is an XML file at it's core and is read/executed as such.
You can place a Text Element inside a report design and it can directly execute and display HTML code.

Looking at your sample, I am not aware of something that is going to directly convert the HTML you have created into a BIRT report design.
However, looking at the sample URL you have provided, I think that could be created using the report designer with grids and nested tables with grouping fairly easily. Without knowing more about your data source and reporting requirements it is hard for me to be specific.
Previous Topic:Omniture Tags in BIRT Reports
Next Topic:Farsi letters not displayed correctly in BiRT reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:11:11 GMT 2024