Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Empty string arguement causes Java launch to fail.( )
Empty string arguement causes Java launch to fail. [message #1699547] Thu, 25 June 2015 02:38 Go to next message
Sagun Singh is currently offline Sagun SinghFriend
My program repeatedly failed to launch, giving me a "Error: Could not find or load main class ". My compiled .class runs with a OutOfMemoryException when I use "java MainLoop.class" in the Terminal under Linux, where MainLoop.class is the class with a valid main method.

I have not modified the project settings / folders / files outside of Eclipse. I am using a fresh Mars install of Eclipse and am using the default project settings.

I did have to change the JDK / JRE to point to Oracles' Java 8, since I am running on a 32-bit Debian Jessie system. However, everything seems to point to the installation being complete.

When I checked the process Properties in the Debug view, though, Eclipse seemed to be entering a empty string (or two just two random quotation marks?)

The commands go like this:

• /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.8.0_45/bin/java
  • ""
  • -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
  • /home/notes/Code/Java/ProjectEulerJava/bin
  • us.notes.MainLoop

Does anyone knows why Eclipse is doing this (or if it affects my program launching in any way)? Sorry if this question has been answered before - my Google skills are not exactly up to date, and I couldn't find any recently submitted bugs like this.
Re: Empty string arguement causes Java launch to fail. [message #1778836 is a reply to message #1699547] Fri, 22 December 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernát K lló is currently offline Bernát K llóFriend
I've seen the same error. The solution was to:

Window > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs
select the default jre
in Default VM arguments, there was an unncecessary variable reference that resulted in an empty string.

No idea how it made it there.
Re: Empty string arguement causes Java launch to fail. [message #1778906 is a reply to message #1778836] Sat, 23 December 2017 14:27 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Which variable was it referencing?

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:JSP font
Next Topic:Help with connecting to SQL Server PHP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 22 06:31:21 GMT 2018