Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problem with chinese characters in patch file(Problem with chinese characters displaying correctly in UTF8 patch file)
icon5.gif  Problem with chinese characters in patch file [message #1696531] Wed, 27 May 2015 07:00 Go to next message
Ryan Gillies is currently offline Ryan GilliesFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2015
Junior Member
I'm attempting to apply a patch to a Maven project in Eclipse - included in the patch file are language pack translations to Traditional Chinese. The patch file is encoded in UTF8 (without BOM).

However when I begin to apply the patch I can see that the Chinese is coming out scrambled - for instance 增加小費 becomes å¢žåŠ å°?è²»

My workstation has Traditional Chinese language support installed, and the project properties shows that the text file encoding is in UTF8. I've tried the patch file with and without BOM but no change in result.

Does anyone know what the issue might be?
Re: Problem with chinese characters in patch file [message #1696717 is a reply to message #1696531] Thu, 28 May 2015 08:00 Go to previous message
Ryan Gillies is currently offline Ryan GilliesFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: May 2015
Junior Member
I changed every instance of encoding to UTF-8 under Windows > Preferences but that didn't work. I then found the following...

Mark Dexter wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 18:43
This just in. I got it to work in Eclipse by copying the patch file to the clipboard and using the Clipboard option in the Patch Input Specification dialog. When you preview the patch, all of the UTF-8 characters show as "???", but the patch applies correctly and you can compare in Eclipse after the patch and see the changes correctly. Hope this helps someone.


I found this further back in the forums from way back in 2010 - using the clipboard feature when patching did work successfully for me, and I had no issue with question marks like Mark encountered - possibly this is a font/language pack issue.

As a more general observation, this appears to be a long standing problem if other people are experiencing similar issues - a quick search on Google for "eclipse patch encoding" shows many bugs in Eclipse relating to patch encoding, so this may need to be something that still needs addressing.
Previous Topic:Cannot create extension
Next Topic:Eclipse viewpart showing too much elements
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jul 17 05:08:53 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02676 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top