Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Configuration 'actions'
Configuration 'actions' [message #1694298] Mon, 04 May 2015 08:43 Go to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Has any thought been given to configuration actions - by this, I mean a command that you can send to a 'thing' that is used for configuration purposes? There are a few examples in zwave - we have a network heal (or a single device heal), or an 'exclude' option, and options to transfer the network configuration to a secondary controller, or to forcibly remove a device from the network if it's broken (there are about 6 functions currently supported in the ZWave binding and HABmin in OH1).

These could be configured as channels, and then associated with UI widgets, but I feel this is not appropriate as they are really only used for configuration or maintenance purposes and we don't want them accidentally being used. There is the 'advanced' flag in the channel configuration - we could use this (the doc says this removes the channel from the UI) and then the UI could provide a separate UI for this (ie a button or something in the thing configuration area). I suspect though that this isn't really what the advanced flag is meant for?

The other option is to add a separate interface for this sort of thing - something similar to channels, but possibly part of the ConfigDescription (since it is generally related to configuration)? in my mind, this is the neatest as it clearly separates the user level functionality (ie channels) from the configuration and maintenance side of things...

Is this something that is under consideration?

Cheers
Chris
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694315 is a reply to message #1694298] Mon, 04 May 2015 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi Chris,

I had similar issue and I use the Thing configuration for this purpose. To notify on configuration I call ItemRegistry to update the thing.
The analysis what was changed is done in the thing handler.

If I understand correctly the new Event framework, we will be able to use it for this scenario, but I am not sure.
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694332 is a reply to message #1694315] Mon, 04 May 2015 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Thanks for your thoughts...

I'm not sure I understand how I can use the ItemRegistry here. I guess you're updating a things parameter in this instance (??), but what I want to be able to do is to send an action to a thing. So, I might want to be able to reset it, or something device specific - I don't think the current updated methods are ideal for this unless we can somehow separate out channels/parameter and actions as I think they are different. It might be possible to configure a channel to act as a reset, but as per my post, then the UI will treat it like other channels. Also, if I have a 'reset' channel, then how do I call it? If I update the value, then I'd need to call updated twice to trigger a change (I think?).

I also don't think there's anything defined to tell the UI what the actions are. Somehow, the UI needs to be told that there are actions for this thing so that it can present a dropdown, or set of buttons, or something, and then it needs to be able to tell ESH what the action, and it's option/value, is set to. The upcoming event framework might help in one direction (ie from the UI to the thing handler), but as I understand it, it won't define how the UI is to be configured.

In the config interface I had for HABmin in OH1 I had the ability to separately send actions - separate to items values and configuration parameters. These were hooked up to buttons in the UI - I'm looking for the same sort of thing here, but maybe there's a better (or just different) way to do the same thing with the existing framework?

Or... Maybe I've just misunderstand what you've implemented? Smile Can you provide a bit more information?

Cheers
Chris
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694342 is a reply to message #1694332] Mon, 04 May 2015 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smart Home is currently offline Smart HomeFriend
Hi Chris,

I meant ThingRegistry ...

Quote:
I mean a command that you can send to a 'thing' that is used for configuration purposes

For me it seems that your are talking about actions and configuration. I was referring to the configuration part. I agree that currently it seems there is no solution for Action, but maybe I am wrong ...

Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694343 is a reply to message #1694342] Mon, 04 May 2015 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think for configuration I'm reasonably happy Smile. Maybe I should have kept 'configuration' out of the title to avoid confusion, but I'm lumping the two together as they are both required to form the admin interface...

Once the configuration group enhancements are merged I think this gives good flexibility for defining configuration parameters, but yes, it's actions (or whatever we want to call them) that is missing... Currently to configure devices, I need to use other tools and I'd rather have it all in one place to avoid having to keep stopping and starting OpenHAB...

Cheers
Chris
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694372 is a reply to message #1694342] Mon, 04 May 2015 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think for configuration I'm reasonably happy Smile. Maybe I should have kept 'configuration' out of the title to avoid confusion, but I'm lumping the two together as they are both required to form the admin interface...

Once the configuration group enhancements are merged I think this gives good flexibility for defining configuration parameters, but yes, it's actions (or whatever we want to call them) that is missing... Currently to configure devices, I need to use other tools and I'd rather have it all in one place to avoid having to keep stopping and starting OpenHAB...

Cheers
Chris
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694421 is a reply to message #1694372] Tue, 05 May 2015 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Chris,

This is a good question for which I actually do not have a good answer so far. One possibility would be to introduce something similar like the "advanced" channels, e.g. a kind of "admin" attribute. But somehow this feels not ideal to me.

One feature that comes to my mind that has been discussed before is something like a "config action" that allows to execute some code in order to fix an invalid configuration or which can be combined into a sequence that has to be gone through for an initial setup of a device. I am not sure though, if this would also cover your use cases fully as you seem to require to have "buttons" always available in the config section, right?

Best regards,
Kai
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694455 is a reply to message #1694421] Tue, 05 May 2015 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Kai,
the 'advanced channels' idea that you mention above would work (partly!) - but I agree - it doesn't quite feel right... It would however work from the definition perspective - ie an action could be defined in the same, or similar way to the config descriptions. However, where it doesn't work is the return direction. Currently, the configuration data is put into the thing, and sent to ESH - the problem is that unlike a parameter, which is simply set, an action is sent as the result of a user action... Maybe that doesn't make sense, so let me use an example. If I have a parameter called 'reset', and I set it to true, then I reset it. To send it again, I need to set it to false, and then back to true for there to be a change detection. Instead, what I might want is to send a single 'action' that results in a reset. If all the parameters are sent again, then the detection becomes complex for something that should be simple.

In my thinking, an action is like a button rather than an input, so needs some of the same attributes as a configParameter (options to support selection, label, description...) but doesn't require things like min/max...

In HABmin (OH1) I have a separate REST endpoint for actions - you send the action 'name' and 'value' and the binding has a handler to handle the function... I would be happy to implement something similar in ESH - maybe with a similar definition to the configParameter (reduced as above)....

Let me know what you think...

Cheers
Chris

Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694473 is a reply to message #1694455] Tue, 05 May 2015 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fully understand your usecase and agree that we need something like this. When designing it, we should keep in mind that config descriptions are not tied to Things, but are meant to be applicable to any kind of service - so the idea with using channels was anyhow a bad one Wink
So adding something aside parameters sounds reasonable to me. Simply having "actions" there? When actions have options like parameters, do they also need a type or can we define that options are mandatory and thus can be treated as an enumeration?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 May 2015 14:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694522 is a reply to message #1694473] Tue, 05 May 2015 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting. I'd not initially considered that the parameters could be re-used, but this probably makes sense here and having extended the thing reader tonight, I can see how it's done Smile

My initial thought is that we could treat options as enumerations and as mandatory - but someone else may have a different use case. Someone might argue that they are the same as parameters, but are used as actions and therefore get sent as an immediate event. I could probably be convinced by such a definition - I can see the situation where you might want to send a numeric value as an immediate command and this can't currently be done with parameters (ie updating a parameter value with the same value won't do anything in the binding)...

So, I would suggest using the same definition as the parameters (at least as a start)... For the reverse direction (UI to binding) - we obviously need a REST endpoint, and a service with a callback into the binding... Does that sound ok, and if I put something together is this something you'd be happy with (subject to further discussion on the implementation etc etc Smile ).

Cheers
Chris
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694691 is a reply to message #1694522] Thu, 07 May 2015 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually not meaning "actions having parameters", but "actions have options like parameters", i.e. a list of possible values to send (like "reset", "backup", etc.). Having actions with parameters sounds as if it will easily become very complex - especially wrt how to render such things in a UI.

I think before we go into any implementation we have to think carefully about the requirements. We e.g. also talked about associating buttons to config parameters - e.g. sending the wifi settings to the device with the press of a button. If we introduce a "logic" interface for config descriptions with these actions, we might also want to consider the requirement of "dynamic options", e.g. providing possible options through code (like e.g. available SSIDs for the Wifi setting). Then again, I wonder if the solution is always embedded into a Thing, a rule module, a persistence service, etc. or if the config descriptions are offered independently with their own API. This decision will have a big impact on how the Java and REST API should look for this.

So you see, I still see many open questions... Maybe we should start sketching possible XML, REST and Java API and see how the different ideas could be fit in there.
Re: Configuration 'actions' [message #1694759 is a reply to message #1694691] Thu, 07 May 2015 15:07 Go to previous message
Ok - sorry - when you said "we should keep in mind that config descriptions are not tied to Things, but are meant to be applicable to any kind of service" - I though that you meant that in the same way as we have a list of config descriptions for parameters, that we could have config descriptions for actions and you wanted to reuse the classes currently defined...

Possibly we're talking slightly cross terms, so I'll use examples...

For the definition, I see the following structure (defined as pseudo JSON) -:

actions [
  {
    name: "action1",
    label: "Network function",
    description: ""
    context: ""
    options: ["reset", "initialise", "reset alarm"]
  },
  {
   name: "action2",
    label: "Reset",
    description: ""
    context: ""
    options: []
  }
]

These would be provided in the thing-type descriptions along with the other configuration information...

This would then be sent back on the REST as -:
PUT 'action1' : 'initialise'
PUT 'action2' : ''

In a UI, action1 would be rendered as a list of options (since a list of options is supplied Smile ) while in action2 this could be rendered as a button, or a menu option or something.

I've not thought about the Java API side, but would consider a similar service interface to the config descriptions, but with an additional 'doAction' type of method.

The above is effectively what I have in HABmin at the moment and it's used extensively for the ZWave binding. However, I can see someone coming along with a use case where instead of [options] they wanted to be able to set an action based on (say) a number (eg PUT 'action1': 23). If this use case comes up, then maybe the action definition could be the same as the parameter definition in the config descriptions. Again, I don't have that use case (yet:)) but someone else might so having a flexible interface and reusing the XML might be better (just a thought).

There are obviously a number of ways of doing this so I definitely welcome feedback, but I also think it might be useful to code something up for trial/test. I currently need something to initialise the zigbee interface so this might push me to do something soon as it's causing problems with some users...

Chris

Previous Topic:exporting Thing properties to the (userspace) runtime
Next Topic:Protocol/binding specific information in Thing descriptions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:07:54 GMT 2024