Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Update configuration information to an object
Update configuration information to an object [message #1693564] Sat, 25 April 2015 11:31 Go to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
I'd like to propose a change to the way configuration information is provided in the REST interface. Currently it is just sent as a string/int, but I'd like to propose to change this to an object to allow for future enhancements/metadata to be added to a configuration value.

As an example use case, in the ZWave binding in OH1, I mark some configuration parameters as 'pending' when the user updates them, but they aren't yet updated on the device. This is very useful since in ZWave, and I suspect other RF systems, the binding can't immediately send the data to the device - it can take up to 1 day to send the data (depending on how the user has configured the device - mostly it's 1 hour). Without the pending flag, it's very confusing to users who don't understand the detail of the protocol - they think they've updated the device, but it's not working.

This is just one example - I'm sure other use cases will come along, so I'd propose to change the interface to an object... This would allow future enhancements without breaking UIs.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Chris
Re: Update configuration information to an object [message #1693567 is a reply to message #1693564] Sat, 25 April 2015 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Nobel is currently offline Dennis NobelFriend
Hi Chris,

which interface do you mean exactly? The configuration interface/class? The REST interface exposes more a less the Java API, so it would also need a change there. Changing method signatures to more abstract classes like Object may prevent API breaking changes, but you also loose type information. If the return type of a method is Object, what should the developer expect? I´m personally not a big fan of such APIs.

For your concrete use case with pending configuration we introduced a ThingStatusDetail named CONFIGURATION_PENDING (https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/blob/master/docs/sources/architecture/thing-status.md#status-details). That means a binding should change the status of the thing to CONFIGURATION_PENDING, as long the information could not be sent to the physical device. This way the user can be informed in the UI, that the configuration changes are not applied so far. This mechanism should work across all bindings.

The thing object (including the configuration) can be seen as a contract between the binding and the the framework, and this contract must be as accurate as possible, so that the binding knows what it can get from the UI and vice versa.

Regards

Dennis
Re: Update configuration information to an object [message #1693570 is a reply to message #1693567] Sat, 25 April 2015 12:10 Go to previous message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Dennis Nobel wrote on Sat, 25 April 2015 07:44

which interface do you mean exactly? The configuration interface/class? The REST interface exposes more a less the Java API, so it would also need a change there.

Yes, of course, that is what I meant - sorry - I did't just mean to change the REST interface, but the underlying data.

Changing method signatures to more abstract classes like Object may prevent API breaking changes, but you also loose type information. If the return type of a method is Object, what should the developer expect?

Shouldn't they expect the return type that is specified in the parameter configuration, that was originally specified by the developer? The type is defined already in the ThingType.configParameters.type field.
Personally, I don't think that ESH should assume that the REST client has returned the right type since JSON doesn't provide strong typing and different clients might interpret values differently. In any case, what I propose is to put the current value inside the object so that any such information is still available - it's not changing this, it's just moved inside an object rather than being the only, such that this has the possibility to expand.

For your concrete use case with pending configuration we introduced a ThingStatusDetail named CONFIGURATION_PENDING

Ok, this is useful, but in my opinion it would still be useful to know what parameters have been transfered to the device, and which are still waiting. Since this PENDING flag is on the thing, it is not possible to tell this, just that the thing is not fully initialised. Using your example we might end up with the thing always showing in a CONFIGURATION_PENDING state if someone is updating a parameter regularly...

The thing object (including the configuration) can be seen as a contract between the binding and the the framework, and this contract must be as accurate as possible, so that the binding knows what it can get from the UI and vice versa.

I don't disagree - I'm not proposing that we make this a free for all - ie something that users can put anything they like into - it would simply allow us to expand the interface at a later date which is currently not possible now with a single value being returned.

Maybe I wasn't clear earlier - what I would propose is simply the following (looking at this from the json level) -:
Currently we have -:
thing.configuration {parm1: val1, parm2: val2}

I would simply propose that this is
thing.configuration [{config: 'parm1', value: val1},{config: 'parm2', value: val2}]

such that in future, we could add other attributes to the object without breaking the interface - eg -:
{config: 'parm1', value: val1, status: 'PENDING'}

Chris

Previous Topic:Default implementation of thingHandler.thingUpdated()
Next Topic:UIDs, and what happens to things when you delete a bridge?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:47:11 GMT 2024