Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace
[HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1693339] Thu, 23 April 2015 10:19 Go to next message
Chunbaixue Yang is currently offline Chunbaixue YangFriend
Hi, i'm trying to display dot file while editing, i managed to show the graph in the Dot graph view, however, it didn't display the nodes the way i want, i have to arrange them manually.
I found the nice example at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Zest/DOT
It seems the zest view does some smart tricks to display things nicely, so i figured i'll give it a try, but the Zest graph view doesn't even recognize the dot file in my editor.
I have the "Automatically visualize the DOT content in workspace" toggled on, but i still see no graph.
Any ideas what went wrong?
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1693382 is a reply to message #1693339] Thu, 23 April 2015 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabian Steeg is currently offline Fabian SteegFriend
If you see no graph at all: is your file using the '.dot' file extension? Are you editing it with the DOT editor (not the simple text editor)? If both is true, the file could still contain unsupported DOT constructs that are not recognized by the editor. Check the error log view for any errors. If the graph doesn't look the way you expect, it might be due to rendering options that are not supported by the renderer. I'd try using simpler graphs to debug the issue.
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1693458 is a reply to message #1693382] Fri, 24 April 2015 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, thank you for your reply.
Yes i was using .dot file in the dot editor and i think the dot file contains valid constructs since Graphviz can generate image from the file and the Dot Graph view does recognize the input. It was only Zest Graph view that was not working, and there's actually no error from the Error Log.
My input was also relatively simple, it was like this :
digraph G {
select->identify[label="success"];
identify->connect[label="success"];
identify->select[label="cancel"];
connect->write[label="success"];
write->Done[label="success"];
}
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1693515 is a reply to message #1693458] Fri, 24 April 2015 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Zest Graph view is actually the old version, which is replaced by the DOT Graph view. I would recommend to only install the GEF4 DOT feature from the Mars update site.
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1693779 is a reply to message #1693515] Tue, 28 April 2015 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thank you for your information!
Will DOT graph view also support layout in the future like in the Zest graph view?
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1694120 is a reply to message #1693779] Thu, 30 April 2015 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you mean the button to re-layout the current graph? The new view re-layouts on resizing, so the button seemed unnecessary. But I'd be interested to hear about a use case that's not covered by the new view.
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1694471 is a reply to message #1694120] Tue, 05 May 2015 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, thank you for your reply and patience.

My problem with the layout was about overlapping lines.
Example like this:
digraph G {
A->B[label="a"];
B->A[label="b"];
}

the line from A to B will be on top of the line from B to A in the DOT graph view, so then it was not possible to read the text on the label. You can see it in the attached image.

Or maybe i can change the setting somewhere so that the lines won't overlap?
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 3.27KB, Downloaded 156 times)
Re: [HELP]Zest graph view won't display the dot file in my workspace [message #1694779 is a reply to message #1694471] Thu, 07 May 2015 20:23 Go to previous message
Now I understand, thanks for the example. Support for curved edges was experimental in Zest 1 and 2, see:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=190223#c6

The new GEF4 version is based on a new rendering engine that does not support curved edges yet, but it's planned, see:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=459314
Previous Topic:Problem Loading Workspace
Next Topic:[Zest] Create a Nested-Node Link Graph
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 15:28:15 GMT 2024