Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How do you enable Multicore Visualizer(Need to manually install into existing Eclipse CDT instance on Linux)
How do you enable Multicore Visualizer [message #1691024] Wed, 01 April 2015 15:53 Go to next message
Mark D is currently offline Mark DFriend
Hi

Read in several places [e.g. CDT/User/NewIn86] about the 'Multicore Visualizer' - seems like a great thing to try on the multi threaded C++ app I'm debugging. However, I can't see how to enable it - I presumably need to download it from somewhere & install into my existing eclipse installation?

Due to corporate firewall, the Update/Install options in the Eclipse Help menu don't work - to originally install Eclipse CDT, I manually downloaded the 175MB Linux tarball & extracted under my home dir & it all worked as expected Smile

I assume once installed, I will get a 'Multicore Visualizer' as another option in the eclipse menu 'Window/Show View' & I can then add it as a tab?

Currently running Eclipse Luna SR2 on Linux [RHEL 6.6 x86_64]

TIA

M
Re: How do you enable Multicore Visualizer [message #1691039 is a reply to message #1691024] Wed, 01 April 2015 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Dumais is currently offline Marc DumaisFriend
Hi Mark,

I do not think that the Multicore Visualizer is part of the "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers". I think the easiest way to install it would be to configure Eclipse to use your corporate proxy. That is not intuitive to all. Here's a page that gives a good idea, even if a bit old:

Do a google search for "eclipse set proxy" (without the quotes) and use the "www.mkyong.com" result - for me it's the first one. (Sorry, the forum doesn't allow me to post a link outside of eclipse.org)

Once that works, you can install the Multicore Visualizer :

Help -> Install new software -> All available sites -> and type "multicore" in the text field. It should find the correct entry - select it, then "next", etc...

Once installed, you'll find it in the views, under "Debug", you'll see "Visualizer".

Regards,

Marc
Re: How do you enable Multicore Visualizer [message #1691052 is a reply to message #1691024] Wed, 01 April 2015 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies for answering my own question, but I did have a look around before originally posting but only after was I able to figure out the answer! It is included in the CDT package file you download from
www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php

i.e. for my CDT version 8.6, I downloaded 'cdt-8.6.0.zip'

To install, in eclipse then 'Help/Install new Software...' click 'Add...' button [top right], click 'Archive' then select the 'cdt-8.6.0.zip' file [don't need to unzip it]. Under 'CDT Optional Features' item, tick 'C/C++ Multicore Visualizer' [not the 'C/C++ Visualizer Framework'] &, in 'Details' section below, it will give more info. Check version number shown matches & then 'Next' - will get prompt at end to restart eclipse

To add as tab to eclipse, then eclipse menu Window/Show View/Other & [on popup dialog] Debug then 'Visualizer'. The tab itself will be named 'Multicore Visualizer <1>' & has it's own 'Step Return', 'Step Over' & 'Step Into' buttons [but in the reverse order to that in the main menu bar Sad]

I'm not entirely sure what this is showing me that add value - I looked at stuff in the eclipse cdt release files starting with 'CDT/User/NewIn81'
I have 2 dark green boxes with numbers 0 to 23 distributed between them presumably corresponding to computer cores [has 2 physcial CPU's each with 6 physical cores & hyperthreading, so 24 'cores'in total]. The '0' has a light green box around it & the numbers are green or yellow [for which I have a thread using that core as shown in 'Debug' tab]. Double clicking does nothing [get menu if R.M.B.]

Anyway, I'll have a play...

M
Re: How do you enable Multicore Visualizer [message #1691055 is a reply to message #1691039] Wed, 01 April 2015 22:02 Go to previous message
Hi Marc

To get eclipse updates, I had previously tried to configure the eclipse proxy without much luck - I tried looking at the proxies specified in the 'pac' file used in ie/firefox [Tools/Options/Advanced/Network/Settings] but nothing is easy in a corporate environment :-~

Anyway, I managed to get around my download issues and probably learned more that way!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

M
Previous Topic:Remote synchronization issue
Next Topic:GDB/DSF download executable versus .gdb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:32:19 GMT 2024