Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » [Feature Request] TOGGLE-command for switch items
[Feature Request] TOGGLE-command for switch items [message #1690713] Mon, 30 March 2015 18:21 Go to next message
Christoph Wempe is currently offline Christoph WempeFriend
Like I requested in the Google Group, it would be great if one could use a toggle command in scripts and rules to change the current state of a switch item.
sendCommand(SwitchItem, TOGGLE)

Maybe this could even be usefull for other items like roller shutter or dimmers to change from 0% to 100% and vice versa.

I could also see use cases where one would like to toggle between different states/scenes.
Imagine if I have just one button on the wall to switch between four light scenes.
It would be usefull to toggle from one scene to the next and start from the beginning again with just one button.
1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 1 -> ...
Re: [Feature Request] TOGGLE-command for switch items [message #1690912 is a reply to message #1690713] Tue, 31 March 2015 21:18 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Especially your scene example hints that this is already a kind of "mini-rule". Toggling, rotating etc. requires information about some state - but the system is designed in a way that it should not be required to have access to the state. Think of a 433MHz switchable outlet, which is uni-directional: A binding would have to know what to do for ON and OFF, but TOGGLE is not possible as it cannot know the device state (you might have changed it manually at the device itself meanwhile). You could of course "feel lucky" and just send the invers of the item state, but this is then rather a rule topic than a "supported command" topic. So yes, within rules, it can be convenient if you do not have to check the state yourself, but have some method available to do so - with the new rule engine (see thread "modular rule engine", this will be easily possible for sure. But I do not think that it would be a good idea to introduce a new command type for the switch item.

Best regards,
Kai
Previous Topic:Minimum Java version
Next Topic:Actions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:54:51 GMT 2024