Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues
Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1653868] Fri, 06 March 2015 12:24 Go to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
Short description:
When I use the Oomph setup to create a Luna development environment, everything goes smoothly.
After a restart of the environment, a rebuild is triggered and results in >600.000 errors.
The only way I found to fix it, is a reload of the target platform.
After the next restart, the scenario repeats itself.

My guess was that Oomph results in a fully functional development environment.
So, either I do something wrong or the Papyrus Setup model for Oomph shows some hiccups.

Longer description: (reproduction scenario)
(I first deleted my bundle pool c:\users\myname\.p2 to avoid 'bad history')
* Download the Oomph installer (I use version 1.1.0 Build 941 on Win x64)
* Select "Eclipse Standard" (I also tried "Eclipse Modeling Tools" to no avail.)
* Fill variables:
- Product version "Latest Release (Luna)" 64-bit
- VM: ... jdk8 (a 64-bit version)
* Next
* Select Papyrus | Main | all subprojects
* Verify that all are on the stream "streams/1.0-maintenance (Luna/1.0.x)"
* Next
* Fill variables (show all variables):
- Installation location = d:\Prog\OomphLuna
- Workspace location = d:\Local\Dev\OomphLuna
- Target Platform = Luna
- Eclipse UserID etc (Authenticate returns that my password is invalid, but I can perfectly signon with these credentials on https://dev.eclipse.org/site_login/)
* Next
* All Bootstrap tasks are ticked.
* Additionally, only "Mirrors" at the bottom is ticked.
* Finish
* After some time, without any issues, Eclipse launches
* Finish the bootstrap.
* Close the new Eclipse's Welcome screen
* Click the two revolving arrows in front of "Executing Startup Tasks" to show progress
* Wait... wait a bit more...
* This completes without errors. Click Finish.
* The active Eclipse starts building the workspace.
* You now hit bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=461492, causing 1 error.
Fix it by putting the following in the affected manifest.mf file:
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: Facet Custom Editor
Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.papyrus.emf.facet.custom.metamodel.editor.doc;singleton:=true
Bundle-Version: 1.0.2.qualifier
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.help
Bundle-Vendor: Eclipse Modeling Project
* Build now completely succeeds
* Restart the current session (File | Restart)
* Some activities start automatically: Setup check , Removing lots of projects from "Xtext index", Building workspace
* Finally, end up with 611.302 errors (and quite some warnings)
* Optional: Clean all workspace projects - rebuild starts - same result
* Go to Window | Preferences | Plug-in development | target platform
* Currently "Modular Target" is listed as active.
* Select it, Reload, Ok
* Message box appears:
"You have selected a target with a newer version than your current Eclipse installation. This can cause unexpected behaviour in PDE. Please use a newer version of Eclipse."
* Press ok
* Rebuild starts
* No more build errors

* Do File | Restart and you are back to 611.302 errors after a rebuild.
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1653962 is a reply to message #1653868] Fri, 06 March 2015 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1221
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi, Johan,

Thanks for taking an interest in getting involved with Papyrus and the
setup model.

I have copied the Oomph newsgroup on my reply to see whether the
experts there can be of help. Find other responses in-line, below.

HTH,

Christian


On 2015-03-06 12:24:13 +0000, Johan Van Noten said:

> Short description:
> When I use the Oomph setup to create a Luna development environment,
> everything goes smoothly. After a restart of the environment, a rebuild
> is triggered and results in >600.000 errors.
> The only way I found to fix it, is a reload of the target platform.

Re-load in what way? Run the Targlet configuration task again, or just
hit the "Reload" button in the PDE Target preference page?


> After the next restart, the scenario repeats itself.
>
> My guess was that Oomph results in a fully functional development environment.

It does seem to work for most of us, but I'm not sure how up-to-date we
are Oomph-wise. I suppose you're on the very latest public build of
Oomph?


> So, either I do something wrong or the Papyrus Setup model for Oomph
> shows some hiccups.
>
> Longer description: (reproduction scenario)
> (I first deleted my bundle pool c:\users\myname\.p2 to avoid 'bad history')

Is that even safe to do? I've never tried doing that.


> * Download the Oomph installer (I use version 1.1.0 Build 941 on Win x64)
> * Select "Eclipse Standard" (I also tried "Eclipse Modeling Tools" to
> no avail.)

Either of these should provide a good basis for a Papyrus development
environment (I usually take the standard package, myself, because then
I only get what I really need for Papyrus).


> * Fill variables:
> - Product version "Latest Release (Luna)" 64-bit
> - VM: ... jdk8 (a 64-bit version)
> * Next
> * Select Papyrus | Main | all subprojects
> * Verify that all are on the stream "streams/1.0-maintenance (Luna/1.0.x)"

All good.


> * Next
> * Fill variables (show all variables):
> - Installation location = d:\Prog\OomphLuna
> - Workspace location = d:\Local\Dev\OomphLuna

Not C: drive? My Windows experience is so long ago now that I vaguely
recall some tools behave strangely on assumptions of paths being in the
C: drive, but I wouldn't expect Oomph to exhibit any such trouble.


> - Target Platform = Luna

Yep.


> - Eclipse UserID etc (Authenticate returns that my password is
> invalid, but I can perfectly signon with these credentials on
> https://dev.eclipse.org/site_login/)
> * Next
> * All Bootstrap tasks are ticked.
> * Additionally, only "Mirrors" at the bottom is ticked.
> * Finish
> * After some time, without any issues, Eclipse launches
> * Finish the bootstrap.
> * Close the new Eclipse's Welcome screen
> * Click the two revolving arrows in front of "Executing Startup Tasks"
> to show progress
> * Wait... wait a bit more...
> * This completes without errors. Click Finish.
> * The active Eclipse starts building the workspace.
> * You now hit bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=461492,
> causing 1 error.
> Fix it by putting the following in the affected manifest.mf file:
> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
> Bundle-Name: Facet Custom Editor
> Bundle-SymbolicName:
> org.eclipse.papyrus.emf.facet.custom.metamodel.editor.doc;singleton:=true
>
> Bundle-Version: 1.0.2.qualifier
> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.help
> Bundle-Vendor: Eclipse Modeling Project
> * Build now completely succeeds

This all sounds peachy.


> * Restart the current session (File | Restart)
> * Some activities start automatically: Setup check , Removing lots of
> projects from "Xtext index", Building workspace
> * Finally, end up with 611.302 errors (and quite some warnings)

I don't see how anything in the setup model could cause this. It
shouldn't be possible even for a misconfigured setup model to break the
PDE. Hopefully somebody in the Oomph forum recognizes this problem and
can help!


> * Optional: Clean all workspace projects - rebuild starts - same result
> * Go to Window | Preferences | Plug-in development | target platform
> * Currently "Modular Target" is listed as active.
> * Select it, Reload, Ok

Ah, that answers that.


> * Message box appears:
> "You have selected a target with a newer version than your current
> Eclipse installation. This can cause unexpected behaviour in PDE.
> Please use a newer version of Eclipse."

That doesn't make sense. You've based your Oomph installation on Luna
and you've imported the Luna stream of the setup model, so everything
in your PDE Target should be Luna.

Perhaps this is the problem.

Can you confirm that your org.eclipse.core.resources and
org.eclipse.pde.core plug-ins in your install and in your PDE Target
are both the Luna version?


> * Press ok
> * Rebuild starts
> * No more build errors
>
> * Do File | Restart and you are back to 611.302 errors after a rebuild.
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1654022 is a reply to message #1653962] Fri, 06 March 2015 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
The answer to your remaining questions are below:

> It does seem to work for most of us, but I'm not sure how up-to-date we
> are Oomph-wise. I suppose you're on the very latest public build of
> Oomph?

Yep, the latest afaik: I use version 1.1.0 Build 941 on Win x64

>> (I first deleted my bundle pool c:\users\myname\.p2 to avoid 'bad history')
>Is that even safe to do? I've never tried doing that.

Well, of course I only did this after running into the issue.
It clearly didn't solve the issue, but I don't see any (direct) negative impact either.
I guess that it would break any other Oomph installations that depend on the same bundle pool, but that's not my case.

>> * Fill variables (show all variables):
>> - Installation location = d:\Prog\OomphLuna
>> - Workspace location = d:\Local\Dev\OomphLuna
> Not C: drive? My Windows experience is so long ago now that I vaguely
> recall some tools behave strangely on assumptions of paths being in the
> C: drive, but I wouldn't expect Oomph to exhibit any such trouble.

I don't think this will be an issue. I'm using Eclipse all over my D: drive.

>> * You now hit bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=461492,
>> causing 1 error.
>> Fix it by putting the following in the affected manifest.mf file:
>> Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
>> Bundle-Name: Facet Custom Editor
>> Bundle-SymbolicName:
>> org.eclipse.papyrus.emf.facet.custom.metamodel.editor.doc;singleton:=true
>>
>> Bundle-Version: 1.0.2.qualifier
>> Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.help
>> Bundle-Vendor: Eclipse Modeling Project
>> * Build now completely succeeds
>This all sounds peachy.

By the way: Camille just solved this bug.

>> * Restart the current session (File | Restart)
>> * Some activities start automatically: Setup check , Removing lots of
>> projects from "Xtext index", Building workspace
>> * Finally, end up with 611.302 errors (and quite some warnings)
> I don't see how anything in the setup model could cause this. It
> shouldn't be possible even for a misconfigured setup model to break the
> PDE. Hopefully somebody in the Oomph forum recognizes this problem and
> can help!

I help hoping...

>> * Message box appears:
>> "You have selected a target with a newer version than your current
>> Eclipse installation. This can cause unexpected behaviour in PDE.
>> Please use a newer version of Eclipse."
> That doesn't make sense. You've based your Oomph installation on Luna
> and you've imported the Luna stream of the setup model, so everything
> in your PDE Target should be Luna.
> Perhaps this is the problem.
> Can you confirm that your org.eclipse.core.resources and
> org.eclipse.pde.core plug-ins in your install and in your PDE Target
> are both the Luna version?

If I open Help | About | Installation Details | Plug-ins, I get the following:
* org.eclipse core.resources: 3.9.1.v20140825-1431
* org.eclipse.pde.core: 3.10.1.v20140902-1534

If I open Window | Preferences | Target Platform, select "Modular Target" and go to the Contents tab, I get:
* org.eclipse core.resources: 3.9.1.v20140825-1431 (identical)
* org.eclipse.pde.core: 3.10.2.v20150127-1015 (newer)

Other bundles like the Papyrus ones are also clearly newer (1.0.1 in the installation as opposed to 1.0.2 in the target).
Does this answer your question?
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1654040 is a reply to message #1654022] Fri, 06 March 2015 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Messages: 932
Registered: February 2011
Senior Member
Quote:
Other bundles like the Papyrus ones are also clearly newer (1.0.1 in the installation as opposed to 1.0.2 in the target).
Does this answer your question?


Maybe an issue related to the recent update to Luna SR2, last week?

Papyrus 1.0.1 shouldn't be installed anymore

Camille


Camille Letavernier
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1654067 is a reply to message #1654040] Fri, 06 March 2015 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
I just tried the Mars equivalent (similar procedure).
Result: 58 errors and about 6000 warnings.
The build errors are all due to xtend files not being code-generated
(xtend-gen dirs remain empty.)

I assumed that I didn't have to do anything at the end of the Oomph installation: it would just build fine.
So I just leave Eclipse on its "Build automatically" build strategy.
Should I trigger build in a different manner?
Or should any other manual actions still be performed?
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1654178 is a reply to message #1654067] Fri, 06 March 2015 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 6934
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

I find that when I do a significant multi-project change of workspace
content I may well need to do a Refresh-All and/or a Clean-All. Xtend is
certainly one of the builds that can fail to trigger. Papyrus is not a
factor in this problem. Just occasionally in the case of 'build path
cycles', it may be necessary to close some projects and restart Eclipse
so that the phantom cycles go away.

I suspect that the problem is due to a lack of an everything-is-changing
lock-out within the platform, consequently each project change seems to
trigger a premature build and so some builds may fight/complete before
other projects have changed.

If the OOMPH script can arrange to disable Build-All until finished that
might help.

Regards

Ed Willink


On 06/03/2015 14:18, Johan Van Noten wrote:
> I just tried the Mars equivalent (similar procedure).
> Result: 58 errors and about 6000 warnings.
> The build errors are all due to xtend files not being code-generated
> (xtend-gen dirs remain empty.)
>
> I assumed that I didn't have to do anything at the end of the Oomph
> installation: it would just build fine.
> So I just leave Eclipse on its "Build automatically" build strategy.
> Should I trigger build in a different manner?
> Or should any other manual actions still be performed?
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1654215 is a reply to message #1654178] Fri, 06 March 2015 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Ed,
Thanks for your reply.
In the Mars-case, a refresh all followed by clean all and automatic build doesn't solve the issue.
Whereas in the Luna-case a Reload of the target platform seems to solve the issue (till the next restart) this does not help for Mars either.

@others: if you follow the same procedure from scratch today, you don't seem to have any issues at all?

Johan
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1663551 is a reply to message #1654022] Tue, 10 March 2015 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1221
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

On 2015-03-06 13:51:29 +0000, Johan Van Noten said:

>
>>> * Message box appears:
>>> "You have selected a target with a newer version than your current
>>> Eclipse installation. This can cause unexpected behaviour in PDE.
>>> Please use a newer version of Eclipse."
>> That doesn't make sense. You've based your Oomph installation on Luna
>> and you've imported the Luna stream of the setup model, so everything
>> in your PDE Target should be Luna.
>> Perhaps this is the problem.
>> Can you confirm that your org.eclipse.core.resources and
>> org.eclipse.pde.core plug-ins in your install and in your PDE Target
>> are both the Luna version?
>
> If I open Help | About | Installation Details | Plug-ins, I get the following:
> * org.eclipse core.resources: 3.9.1.v20140825-1431
> * org.eclipse.pde.core: 3.10.1.v20140902-1534
>
> If I open Window | Preferences | Target Platform, select "Modular
> Target" and go to the Contents tab, I get:
> * org.eclipse core.resources: 3.9.1.v20140825-1431 (identical)
> * org.eclipse.pde.core: 3.10.2.v20150127-1015 (newer)
>
> Other bundles like the Papyrus ones are also clearly newer (1.0.1 in
> the installation as opposed to 1.0.2 in the target).
> Does this answer your question?

Yes, it does. I would have expected the Oomph setup to bring the same
version of PDE into both the installation and the PDE target: the p2
tasks in the setup model reference the same Luna repository as the
targlet tasks. This probably is why you're getting that message, and I
suppose it could be a trigger for the compilation problems, too.

If you use the p2 update UI in the Help menu to update your
installation to the latest PDE, does that resolve your compilation woes?

Christian
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1670956 is a reply to message #1663551] Fri, 13 March 2015 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
Christian,

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your feedback until I came here to "ping" the message.

When I try to use "Help | Check for updates" I get the message "Cannot complete the request. This installation has not been configured propertly for Software Updates. See the error log for details."
And then doing what it proposed: check the error log:

eclipse.buildId=4.4.1.M20140925-0400
java.version=1.8.0_40
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=nl_BE
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.modeling.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.modeling.product

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk
Warning
Fri Mar 13 13:00:04 CET 2015
Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this application's config.ini file.
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1671314 is a reply to message #1670956] Fri, 13 March 2015 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1221
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Oo, that's not good. I haven't seen anything like that before.

I wonder whether that's a problem with the definition of the EPP, or
something in Oomph? I always base my Oomph installs on the smallest
possible EPP (classic/committers or whatever it is called) because any
other requirements of what I'm Oomph-installing should be found in the
referenced repositories automatically anyways. And, I haven't created
a new Oomph installation in ages, so I don't know whether perhaps Oomph
has regressed in its p2 automation.

I don't have any ideas what to do next, expect to inquire about this in
the Oomph newsgroup.

Christian

On 2015-03-13 12:02:26 +0000, Johan Van Noten said:

> Christian,
>
> Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your feedback until I came here to
> "ping" the message.
>
> When I try to use "Help | Check for updates" I get the message "Cannot
> complete the request. This installation has not been configured
> propertly for Software Updates. See the error log for details."
> And then doing what it proposed: check the error log:
>
> eclipse.buildId=4.4.1.M20140925-0400
> java.version=1.8.0_40
> java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
> BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=nl_BE
> Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.modeling.product
> Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product
> org.eclipse.epp.package.modeling.product
>
> org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.sdk
> Warning
> Fri Mar 13 13:00:04 CET 2015
> Could not locate the running profile instance. The eclipse.p2.data.area
> and eclipse.p2.profile properties may not be set correctly in this
> application's config.ini file.
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1677277 is a reply to message #1671314] Sun, 15 March 2015 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Christian,

Do you feel this could be related to the bug that I submitted?
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=462140

Johan
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1679026 is a reply to message #1677277] Mon, 16 March 2015 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend
Messages: 1221
Registered: July 2009
Location: Canada
Senior Member

Hi, Johan,

No, I don't think so. The modeling components installer is like the
Eclipse Marketplace Client. It isn't used by Oomph, which instead
loads software from the Luna simultaneous release repository.

Although, I should clarify that it is only software installed by p2
into your developer IDE that is obtained from the Luna repository. The
PDE target is assembled from the individual release repositories of
each project dependency to ensure the best version of each at any point
in the development process (which by now, for Luna, is largely done).

HTH,

Christian

On 2015-03-15 21:05:14 +0000, Johan Van Noten said:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Do you feel this could be related to the bug that I submitted?
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=462140
>
> Johan
Re: Oomph setup --> lots of compiler issues [message #1687037 is a reply to message #1679026] Thu, 19 March 2015 13:16 Go to previous message
Johan Van Noten is currently offline Johan Van NotenFriend
Messages: 87
Registered: July 2009
Member
This morning, Cédric Brun fixed the bug I submitted.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=462140
I retried the Oomph installation for Luna after this fix.

As Christian expected, it seems that it changes the issue, but doesn't solve it:
* Behaviour is identical: lots of compiler errors after first relaunch. Solved when "reloading" target platform.
* Diagnosis is different: base Eclipse & Papyrus now seem to have the correct version (Papyrus 1.0.2). (As a consequence of Cédric's fix.)

So, remaining issue: reload of the target platform is required to remove build errors.

The Oomph Mars issues mentioned above have a different root cause.
I submitted a separate bug for tracking that issue:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=462535
Previous Topic:Customize palette (EMF-based)
Next Topic:Create model from existing uml not working in Luna/Papyrus 1.0.0
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Nov 29 08:08:33 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02609 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top